Eli Wesley - F I F T E E N

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 Eli Wesley - F I F T E E N

 You know the feeling when everything just felt great? 

 Yeah that. 

 I was having that feeling this very moment. 

 My family loved meeting Lana. Coops and Preston both knew about Lana all along, while I was "playing a game with denial" — according to Preston. The plan to get Haley Jones back was officially dropped and forgotten between us three. So much could change within a month.

 Weeks ago, I was a bitter person. Well, that was done and over with.

 “El, you just going to stand there grinning and not tell your old man why?”

 Snapping out of it, I dropped my grin and gave my undivided attention back to Dad. We were both outside by the drive way this morning, changing the oil of my car. Noticing the wondering expression on Dad's face, I shook my head and reassured him that I just remembered something funny. Dad shrugged and continued on with the process. Ever since I was crawling, Dad taught me just about everything when it comes to cars. 

 Even though I could change the oil myself, Dad always insisted to help. He would always say this was the only opportunity to have some “father and son” bonding time. It made me feel guilty whenever he joked about it. Wiping my hands with the cloth, I wanted to hear his opinion since we were close. 

 "Dad, how do you know when a girl is the one for you? When you know it's real?"

 "El, how old are you again?" His voice almost joking. I didn't get to see his expression since he was busy attending the car.

 "Nineteen." I laughed. "Come on, Dad. My birthday was in January... it wasn't that long ago."

 Dad joined my laughter, revealing an entertained expression from my question. He shook his head. "Of course I wouldn't forget my boy's birthday. My point is, you're still young. You're acting like tomorrow is the last day you'll experience love."

 "I know that, but there's a huge difference between liking and loving a girl. How will I know?"

 "Hand me the container right there, Ell." 

 After handing it to him, it took a few minutes before Dad turned his attention to me. Dad wiped his forehead using his forearm. 

 "To be honest, there's really no direct explanation to feeling love. You'll just know, son." He continued, "For example, when I first met your mother, my world made a complete 360. She was the only girl I saw in my eyes. Every other girl were nothing but blobs... Now El, don't give me that look.”

 Dad was referring to my wrinkled nose, hearing him talk cheesy.

 He chuckled before his dark brown eyes seemed to be drifting off. "Loving a girl is when the looks that attracted you are no longer there. What matters to you and what makes your heart yearn for her are her inner qualities. To love someone is when you're willing to do anything and no matter what, you two will make it through the ups and downs in life. Remember, love isn't meant to be perfect. People say love is a complete fairytale, but they are wrong. What makes love real are those bumps in the road — the trials of life."

 "If I want to make a girl happy all the time... does that mean I actually love her?" I was still unsure.

 Shaking his head, Dad pointed out, "That's different, Ell. Love isn't about mending a broken soul — it's when two souls become one.”