E I G H T ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 E I G H T ~ Lana Clarke

 "Santa Monica fair, here we come!" Olette clapped her hands with joy.

 As we were waiting to be picked up by Eli at my house, I wasn't sure how to feel right now — excitement or nervousness? The thought of being with his friends was having me all over the place. Thank goodness Olette was here with me.

 Olette adjusted her floppy, summer hat in the mirror from our living room until it suddenly lifted up from her head. Catching that, Landon let out an amused chuckle, walking off with it.

 Landon looked down at the hat and teased, "You going to Paris, Benson?"

 Olette flipped around and raised her arms to grab her hat. However, she was three inches shorter than my 5 foot 6 which gave Landon a better advantage.

 "Give it back, Landon!"

 Even though Landon did have a girlfriend at the moment, I couldn't help but notice the constant flirting whenever the two are together. It didn't bother me for some odd reason. I've always thought my best friend and brother would look cute together. Olette always denied this. With Landon, I never asked.

 Landon eventually stopped and softly plopped the hat onto Olette's head. "Where are you two going? The beach?"

 I shook my head. "Did you hear about the fair? We're going with Eli and his friends."

 "Yeah. Similar to the one that happens in Orange County, right? Make sure to get those deep fried goods." A grin grew on Landon's face.

 "Are you planning to go?" Olette tilted her head.

 Landon's smile fell into a goofy smirk. "As much as I know it wouldn't be as fun without me, I'm probably not."

 Olette's cheeks turned red despite looking a little mad. It made me hold in my laugh until my phone started ringing. Putting off my attention from them, I took a glance momentarily at the screen and Eli's name was blinking.

 "Hi Lana, you two ready? We're waiting outside."

 "Oh, you are? Okay, we'll be out in a bit."

 Eli let out a small laugh. "Take your time. See you soon."

 After ending the call, I turned back to Olette and Landon. "Olette, they're outside. I guess we'll be going now, Landon. You and Dad will be okay, right?"

 "Lana, you worry too much... I feel like I'm the younger sibling sometimes. We'll be fine. You two have fun, alright?"

 Laughing at my brother's joking persona, I punched him lightly in the arm even if it had no effect on him. Before leaving, I quickly walked upstairs where Dad was taking an afternoon rest. I noticed how much he was resting lately.

 Carefully opening the door, I found him sleeping peacefully while observing his constant breathing. Looked like Dad wasn't struggling, that was a good sign. Kissing him on the forehead, I didn't want to wake him, so I headed downstairs already.

 As Olette and I walked out the front door, I whispered playfully, "Don't worry, I could tell Landon liked that hat on you."

 Olette slapped my arm gently in return as she shook her head. "That's not true! Come on, Lana. Your prince is waiting for you."

 She winked and I rolled my eyes to not laugh.

 Something I wasn't expecting to find was Eli, Julian and Preston all outside of his car. They were all talking — maybe even joking with one another since they appeared to be laughing — and eventually noticed we were walking over to them. The three waved and we gave them a smile, waving back in response.