T W E L V E ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 T W E L V E ~ Lana Clarke

 What happened when a nightmare actually came true? 

 I panicked. 

 Everything that occured earlier washed away as I speed walked in the bright, odd smelling hallways of the hospital. My heart raced as I tuned out the world — Eli — everyone — to set my mind on Dad. What if he wasn't okay? I bit my lower lip, letting my feet take me to the emergency room. 

 Suddenly, I felt something warm reach for my hand. Pulling to a stop, I realized I was shivering before I settled my eyes on Eli. Giving him a vacant stare, Eli smiled to calm my nerves. His lips stretched kindly that soon revealed his dimple. 

 “Lana, he'll be okay.”

 Eli's assurance had given some relief, but I could only give him a closed smile in return. We soon reached the Emergency Room and I asked the front desk where Dad was. It turned out Dad was occupying the room just across the counter. Heading over, I found him lying on the hospital bed. He had his eyes shut and was connected to a monitor with an I.V. My heart was clenching as I prayed that it wasn't anything serious. 

 My voice shook. “Dad!”

 Dad's eyes opened slightly at the sound of my voice. At first, he looked at me with disbelief — like he didn't want me here. Dad smiled weakly in return. His eyes momentarily glanced over at Eli, who was standing behind me. 

 Rushing over to Dad, I nearly choked. “You said you were going to be okay... W-what happened?”

 Before Eli picked me up earlier today, I recalled Dad promising me that he would be completely okay by himself and we wouldn't have to worry. “Have fun at the party", his words to Eli and me before we left repeated through my head. As Dad was about to answer, someone interrupted.

 “Are you the daughter of Mr. Clarke?”

 Turning around, Eli had been staring at me until he looked over his shoulder at what appeared to be the doctor. The doctor gave me a friendly grin even though his face was slightly worn out, having dark circles under his eyes. The doctor then asked Eli if he had any relations with us. Eli shook his head which made the doctor instruct him politely if he could take a step outside. Giving Eli an apologetic look, he indicated that he understood the situation and smiled faintly at me before leaving. 

 Once Eli slid the curtains for privacy, the doctor introduced himself as Dr. Welsh.

 “Dr. Welsh, is my dad okay?”

 Dad tried to calm me. “Lana, I'm fine.”

 Dr. Welsh looked at us before he glanced down at the clipboard. “It was just a mild attack, Ms. Clarke. It was a good thing that Mr. Clarke went to seek medical attention immediately. You have been receiving treatment for your cancer… Am I correct?” 

 I nodded for Dad.

 He informed, “After treating Mr. Clarke, he's much better. Just more rest. We'll have him transferred to a different room since I would like him to stay in the hospital so I can check for progress for a few days. Dr. Hamilton is your primary doctor?”

 “Yes. Will my dad get better though?” I hoped, holding onto Dad's hand.

 Dr. Welsh pursed his lips momentarily. “As of now, he is better after the attack. But, I will have to make sure.”