F O U R T E E N ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 F O U R T E E N ~ Lana Clarke

 “He likes you! That's all to it.” Olette stated a matter of fact as she carried her sister in her arms. 

 I stopped by her house after work since Olette was alone babysitting. At least this gave us some time to catch up. I told her everything that happened when I visited Mom with Eli. That moment still seemed surreal to me. Flashbacks would always appear causing my mind to drift off. Eli was so sincere with his words and the way he wiped my tears off made my heart skip a beat. That kind of feeling never happened before — never did I expect it to happen so soon.

 “I promise.” Eli's words would echo in my head. 

 Angeline was cuddled in Olette's arms and let out a coo. She was too adorable. Despite taking care of her soon to be one year old sister in the fall, Olette continued to stare at me for a response. 

 Occupying her sofa in the living room, I mentioned, “He's just being a friend, Olette.”

 Olette looked down at Angeline and noticed the baby fidgeting. Quickly, I grabbed the bottle and handed it to Olette to avoid the hassle. Olette expressed gratitude and adjusted the bottle gently for her sister to take. Angeline looked like a mini version of Olette — I guess I should say her mother since Olette looks exactly like her too. The only difference was Angeline inherited Mr. Benson's blue-green eyes and dark brown hair. 

 When Angeline's eyes were slowly fluttering, Olette's voice was hushed as she slowly swayed her arms. “A boy would not do all those things and want to be considered a friend.”

 “You make it sound like boys are uncaring in every possible way," I countered. 

 We giggled, but quickly stopped because it was too loud for Angeline's liking.

 After a few minutes of silence, Olette placed sleeping Angeline into her crib in the living room. We both walked to the kitchen where we could talk in a decent speaking level and still be able to hear Angeline, if anything. 

 Pouring a glass of cherry limeade for me, Olette also poured herself one as I took a seat on the bar stool. After thanking her, I took in a sip of the lemonade as the refreshing tangy taste danced on my taste buds. It was our favorite drink of all time. 

 Olette continued to press onto the subject. “It's different though, Lana. I have this huge feeling that Eli likes you! Think about it, he's been showing you around and taking you out, he introduced you to his side of friends, he was there for you at Haley's party, he's showing signs that he wants to be part of your life and your family's and… let's not forget, you're going to meet his family this Friday!”

 Absorbing Olette's words, this was actually the first time I thought about this. Was it something more? Most of the time, I would find myself with Eli and not even think about it. He was someone I naturally went to. His actions throughout these past few weeks could be seen differently, but I was sure he was just being nice. Why would a guy like Eli Wesley be interested in me? It just didn't add up right.

 Olette leveled her hazel eyes at me. “I know you're not going to say anything, but Eli is a sweet guy from what I could see. You just don't see guys like him everyday.”

 I shrugged, bringing the glass cup to my lips. “I don't know, Olette. Can we not talk about this right now?”

 Olette nodded her head, but a new found smirk grew on her face. “Fine. How about we talk about your birthday then?”