E I G H T E E N ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

E I G H T E E N ~ Lana Clarke

 As much as I wanted to listen to Eli, seeing the honesty in his warm brown eyes, my attention was torn away when I caught sight of a familiar person. It was my brother, Landon. He stood right outside the seafood restaurant on the pier with a girl faced away from me to see. At that instance, my mind registered that she wasn't Haley. They officially separated two days after my birthday though I was uncertain what the reason was.

 Instead, the girl had auburn hair that was straight to perfection. I squinted my eyes, taking in the physique and soon enough, the familiarity made sense. 

 Olette.

 My best friend was with my older brother.

 I couldn't help but blurt out my discovery, "Eli... is that Landon and Olette over there?"

 At the time, I wasn't paying attention to what was coming out of Eli's mouth. He cut his sentence and turned to follow my gaze.

 Eli's tone was unsure as he spoke, "That does look like them. Why are they here?"

 "I'm not sure." My lips fell slightly. "I'm sorry, what were you saying earlier?"

 Once Eli faced me, a sheepish expression surfaced. His brown eyes were still bright from before as his lips grew a tiny grin.

 He changed the topic, "How about we do some investigating?"

 Though there was an adventurous approach to Eli, I felt a little horrible. I shouldn't have interrupted him. Now, he wouldn't tell me what he was about to say which was going to haunt me for a while. Letting it go momentarily, I eventually nodded and Eli's dimple appeared as his smile increased. Unsure on how to advance at Landon and Olette, I thought all these possibilities about them. 

 Keeping a straight face, maybe a little surprise from us would get some answers. Still, that little voice in my mind tried to push me away and not bother them. However, it was too late to turn back.

 The girl was laughing along with Landon. I could tell right off the bat when it's Olette's laugh. As she turned around, Eli and I were put to a stop when she exchanged glances with us. Landon soon joined. They froze. 

 Judging by the looks on their faces that moment, they definitely weren't expecting any familiar faces. Olette straightened her wavy hair as she wore a beautiful black dress while Landon wore a dress shirt and black slacks — that couldn't be a simple outing. 

 Olette widened her eyes, but she waved. Her voice quivered a little. "Lana, Eli! Hey, what are you two doing here?"

 Looking over at Eli momentarily, his eyes shown awkwardness, but he gave a taunting grin over at Olette. The two were exchanging glances, almost like Eli had a sense of knowledge about the two.

 "I was kind of going to ask the same thing," I returned with my eyebrows slightly raised.

 My older brother soon hopped into the conversation. He greeted Eli and the two swapped brief nods. Landon ran a hand through his light, brown hair. 

 "I guess we should tell them, Olette."

 Olette flashed a glance at Landon as if she wasn't ready. My mouth dropped a little as my mind came up with a conclusion.

 Instead, I asked from the worry building up inside me, "Landon, I thought you were with Dad."

 "He's okay, Lana." Landon's voice was filled with confidence. "About - "