S I X ~ Lana Clarke

© an affiniteas 2012-2013 ink on Wattpad

 S I X ~ Lana Clarke

"Ms. Clarke, I'm sorry to say but your father's medical bill still needs to be paid off."

 Sighing sadly, I was next to Dr. Hamilton as we were heading down the hospital corridor.

 Dr. Hamilton gave me a sympathetic look. "Your father has been very responsive though. He is a strong willed man."

 Hearing this felt assuring, but what still needed to be paid off haunted my thoughts. It was either I had to work double time, or find a second job. Going to college and other dreams I planned for would have to be put aside because Dad needed this money most. I'm sorry, Mom.

 "Doctor, I'm sorry for the delay but is there any way we can be given more time?"

 Dr. Hamilton's gray eyes dropped onto the clipboard before stating, "I'll see what I can do. We all wish the very best for you and your family."

 Thanking Dr. Hamilton, we soon went opposite directions and I headed to the pharmacy to pick up Dad's required medicine. After doing so, I grabbed my phone from my purse and dialed my work.

 Maryann picked up with her perky yet business-approached voice. "A Fairytale Come True, how may I assist you today?"

 Walking out the doors to the parking lot, I answered, "Hi Maryann, it's Lana. Can I open my days off? I remember you telling me that people have been wanting me booked for their parties."

 Her voice seemed puzzled. "Yeah, your position here is well known but Lana, are you sure? Your only days off are Wednesday till Friday."

 I replied that I was aware of that yet if it was still possible if I could work all week besides Friday.

 Maryann's confused voice then grew with concern. "If you'd like, honey. But what happened to starting college or pursuing that dream you and Cathy shared?"

 The last part killed me, but that would have to wait. Assuring Maryann that I was fine, I made up a white lie saying that it was only a minor setback and working extra days would really mean a lot. In the end, Maryann opened my schedule. Before hanging up, she reminded me that I mustn't forget to take care of myself. There was nothing to worry about when it came down to me. I would be fine.

 It was just another way to work a little harder for the better.

                                                     ☽        ☽        ☽

 I never pictured myself cooking dinner for someone besides my family.

 In the kitchen, I was pacing back and forth thinking of what to make before Eli arrived.

 "Lana, you okay?"

 Stopping myself, I completely straightened myself out and nodded with a smile for Dad. Eventually looking back at the empty pots and pans, I explained how I couldn't decide what to make. A grin grew on Dad's weak face. Every time he did smile though, relief would flash my way.

 "How about one of your mother's delicious recipes? I love her chicken Parmesan."

 Whenever Dad always talked about Mom, he never made it sound like she wasn't here any more. He never used past tense when he mentioned her.