Chapter Thirty- One

Chapter Thirty-One
Milo
    "Yes Chief?" I ask as I walk into her office. Chief Gam is sitting at her desk looking over the papers we have given her about the plan.
    "I got word that they may be transferring some of the children within the next week so, you need to send your first set of troops tonight." Chief explained to me.
    "I will tell Ted to get his team together. They will be ready by dark." I tell her, I hid my nervousness. I can't afford for this to go wrong, too many lives are at steak over my call.
    "Alright I will let the nightly patrol know. You are dismissed." She tells me as I make my way towards the door. "And Milo?"
    "Yes?" I turn just before making it to the door.
    "I have faith that you guys will get these kids. I wouldn't allow this if I didn't believe that you were capable." She tells me before I leave. I leave the building allowing the breeze to run over me for a moment. I suck in a deep breath before making my way to the training area. I hear Raphael's voice over the speaker. I guess Chief has good timing. I make it to the stage. And wait for Raphael to stop talking before I talk to Ted.
    My eyes wander over the crowd and my eyes land onto Allonia. She looks like she is zoned out to be completely honest. I watch as her eyes begin to wander a bit. I watch as her nose scrunches up a bit as she does so. I have noticed that she does that a lot when she is deep in thought, or just annoyed. She is closer towards the front but not close enough to see me.
    I take the time that I have to look over her features. She began to talk to Luna and Lenna. She does smile a little in the conversation but it isn't her usual light hearted laugh that I have grown to love. There is almost a darkness overcoming her.  It may be everything dawning on her that we are so close. This is why I have been working so hard on perfecting things. I don't want her to feel like she is missing something anymore. I want her to feel whole and not as though she has to fight everything. I want to fight for her.
    Luna soon notices me and points Allonia into my direction. Our eyes lock and a smile emerges onto her face. She waves over to me as I wave back with a small chuckle escaping from me. She is honestly a beautiful and naturally happy person. Even when she is trying to be angry she can't. Well at least those she cares for. I am broken from my trance when Raphael stops talking.
    "Hey Ted." I say as I walk towards him on stage. "I just talked to the Chief, she gave the go ahead for the for you guys to leave tonight."
    "Alright. I will get them together now. We are still communicating through the cell phones right?" He asks before I turn away.
    "Yeah. Chief should have them in her office." Ted nods in response before I get off the stage.
    "Hey." Allonia smiles at me when I reach the bottom of the steps.
    "Hey." I reply as we both begin to walk away from the area.
    "What did Chief Gam need?" She asks.
    "Gave the go ahead for the first wave to go towards the kid's camp." I watch as her face goes cold for a moment, but she quickly covers it. 
     "So how long before we have to go?" I could hear her voice begin to shake a bit out of nervousness as she spoke.
     "Three days." We walked in silence for a few moments before she decided to speak again.
     "So does this mean I at least have you for the next few days?" She looked at me for a moment before averting her eyes. From the time I have known her I have come to realize that she doesn't talk much about her feelings or she will dodge out right saying specific things.
      "Did someone miss me?" I jokingly ask as she rolls her eyes holding back a smile.
      "No you just have been looking tired." She mutters. It isn't a complete lie, I'm just not as good at hiding it as I thought I had.
      "I will stay tonight." I wink at her jokingly.
       "Good because your dark circles are making you a little funny looking." Allonia smirks as she walks ahead of me. I laugh to myself as she begins to run towards the house.
~~~~~
2 months ago
     "So how long is this going to take?" Allonia asks me. She picks up her pace so that she is in step with me. I try not to look at her and just raise an eyebrow at her. I already knew what she was talking about, I guess I just wanted to hear her voice a little more. I am still in shock about the fact that she is here in front of me, well next to me.
     "How long will it take for us to get to your camp?" She continues to look at me. She matched my dull expression with slight annoyance.
    "A week if we are lucky, maybe closer to two." I simply respond
    "Why that long?" She asks, giving me a confused look.
    "We have to see my leader and she is a ways out." I respond, keeping my eyes forward. I can't exactly stare at her or she is going to think I am crazy.
    "Could you go a little more in depth? If you don't mind." She says sarcastically.
    "You are a bit rude for someone who needs my help, you know that right?" I smirk at her. She is amusing when annoyed.
    "I need your leader and you are the only one who is willing to help. Even if Tamia made you do it."
    "She didn't force me." I muttered. Well she in a way did but that is neither here nor there at the moment.
    "She just slightly nudged you?" She tells me, amusement evident in her voice. It is hard not to have a smile on your face around her. Maybe that was why I was so drawn towards her all those months ago.
    "Hey guys I hate to break this up but I heard noises." Lenna told us. I ushered everyone to hide behind a few trees and bushes close by. I paid close attention to the noises. Damian looked mortified which was hard not to laugh at but I have to focus on the problem at hand.
    "We shouldn't be here. We have strict orders." A timid voice stated. Officers I mentally groan. They aren't supposed to be here.
    "And the orders said keep an eye on the people in town and make sure they stay where they are supposed to be. I saw a few kids come out here." Another voice stated.
    "So what? They can get killed by those crazy foresters." The timid voice responded. I tense at his choice of words but quickly try and cover it up.
     "Shhh. I heard them come this way." the other one stated as their voices came closer. I get ready to have to fight them off, but I am stopped by a hand grabbing my bicep. I turn to find Allonia throwing a decent sized rock in the opposite direction of us. She motioned for everyone to move quickly away from the area. 
     When we are far enough away I finally speak up   "Thank you." I stated as I kept walking.
     After another hour give or take I brought them to one of our hidden rest spots.
     "This is one of the few places we have that has running water and clothing to stop at. You guys can do what you need but keep the lights off. There are candles you can light or small flashlights. We are staying here for the rest of the night." I explain to them before putting my bag down and going into the kitchen. I didn't want to wait for responses. I just needed some food in my system and a moment to process today's events. She is really back in my life, with some odd twist of events.
~~~~~
     After I showered I went into the kitchen to sit with Allonia. When I got into the kitchen she was sitting with her back facing me and her nose in a book. Her hair was still pulled up out of her face. This was one of the few moments I had seen her in the last two or so months when she wasn't so tense. In our early days she did mention how reading was her escape from the cruelty of our world.
     I walk behind her quietly and wrap my arms around her small frame. She tenses for a moment before realizing it is me, when she does she lets out a sigh of relief, allowing herself to sink into me. We stayed like this for a moment before I let go of her and sit down across from her.
     "What are you reading?" I ask her.
     She looks at me for a moment obviously deep in thought before answering, "Paper Towns." She had to look at the cover to tell me.
     "Still having to look at the cover." I chuckle to myself.
     "It's not my fault." She grumbles to herself sinking into the chair. Before I can respond there is a knock on the door, then Luna strides into the house.
     "If you're going to knock, at least wait for a response." I roll my eyes as Allonia holds back a giggle.
     "Ehh. You're my brother and Allonia likes me." Luna shrugs before leaning on Allonia's chair.    "Anyway, Jacob needs you something about the first set of troops at the gates."
     "Are you good here?" I ask Allonia.
     "Yeah, it's probably important. Plus I get to catch up with your sister." She smiles at me as I get ready to leave.
     "Now go so we can talk shit about you." Luna tells me as she pushes me out of the house. Honestly I hope she is joking. Before I could say another word let alone a good by Luna slams and locks the door. I just shake my head before leaving for the gates.

    "Hey Milo, my man!" Jacob cheers as I approach the gates.
     "What did you guys need?" I ask slightly annoyed.    This work is never going to be done at this point.
     "Ted just wanted to get things in order." Jacob explains as we walk over towards the larger group.
     "My bad. I know you were with Allonia but I just wanted to make sure everything was in order." Ted apologizes as we approach.
     "Ted it's alright." I assure him. "You have the phones and the solar chargers?"
     "Yeah. We will text whenever there are changes and what not." Ted tells me. "We are taking a couple cars to take us a little over half way."
     "Alright you guys have food and water packed?" I ask as Ted nods. "Well I guess we will see you guys in three days. Good luck."
     "Same to you. Keep an eye on your girl, she may be a trooper but God knows how well she is actually taking all of this." he says before getting into one of the trucks.
     Jacob and I watch as the large gates open and the cars bulldoze their way out of the area.
     "Now we wait." Jacob says as he pats my shoulder.