Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve
The sun was beginning to set and it had began to get cold. Milo had told us only another mile or so before we would reach the home. He wasn't wrong we got there quickly. This home even though it was somewhat hidden it looked like it was a beautiful home before all of this happened. It was large but some areas of the home were destroyed. Most likely from those who were looking for food and other necessities. When we made it inside the home didn't disappoint.
In the inside of the home was all wood and the living room had a stone fireplace. There were still some things intact like the creme sofas that reminded me of the sofas my grandmother had in her living room. Not including the plastic wrap she left on them. I continued to walk around the home in awe. The kitchen was incredible. This would have been something I would have wanted for a home when I went house hunting when I moved out. If only the world wasn't so screwed up.
I was removed from my thoughts when I reached a picture of a family. It had a man and woman looking at each other lovingly as their children played around them. They looked happy, the two boys were grinning happily as a little girl gazed at her parents. Why do bad things happen so quickly? I shook my head placing the picture back where it was.
"Are you alright?" Milo asked me, shocking me. More so because startled me rather than the fact that he was actually asking if I was okay.
"Yeah, just deep in thought." I shrug as I continued to wander around the home. He continued to follow me.
"Penny for your thoughts?"
"A happy family used to live here, and because of everything their family was destroyed. Well it could have been. It just isn't fair." I state defeated as I walk to their miniature library analyzing the books they had. Some classics like Dracula or Frankenstein, some young adult like Harry Potter, and then there were some Miscellaneous.
"Life isn't exactly fair, but there are some fair people." He says as he pulls a book off the shelf.
"You like books?" I chuckle to myself in disbelief.
"Shockingly yes." He smirked at me analyzing the book in his hands.
"Favorite book?" I asked.
"Hard to say. You?"
"Anthem written by Ayn Rand. It was a dystopian novella. I found it a few years ago at our library in town before the officers could take all of the dystopian novels out and destroy them. Anthem was one of them." I smile to myself. " I still have the book. Don't tell anyone but it's hidden under my bed." This makes him laugh. I am going to go on a whim and say it was a genuine one.
"We should get some rest we got a very hectic day ahead of us." He tells me bringing back his cold exterior which gains an eye roll from me.
"After I find a book," I respond before my stomach growls "and grab something to eat." Milo just nods and walks away with the book that was in his hand. I just shrug continuing to look through the books. However there wasn't any books that caught my eye.
I made my way to the kitchen and found a can of soup. I check the stove and it was gas so it shockingly worked. I found a pot that I could make it in. Pouring the contents of the can into the pot letting it sit and simmer lowering the heat. I wandered back to the library to wait for the food since I would only be in the next room. I did end up finding a book that was intriguing enough to read while I waited for my food. I sat on the ledge of the windowsill in the library and began to read.
After a while, I forgot about the food until Lenna waltzed in with two bowls in her hands.
"Forgot that you had food?" She asked me handing me a bowl.
"Sadly," I smile as my stomach growls "However my stomach did not." We both laughed before we began to start eating.
After a few moments Lenna finally broke the silence. "Where do you think we would be if this hadn't happened?" She asked.
"I would most likely be in college. You would probably have your dream job at some fashion institute." I shrug at the thought.
"What would you have been in college for?" She asked me.
"I don't know. I never thought of it, never had to." I respond honestly.
"Well, it is what it is at this point." She just shrugs before finishing her soup. I do the same before she gets up to leave. "I am going to get some sleep. When you go upstairs you can take second room on your right." I just nod in response. I held the book close to my chest after setting the bowl on the table near the windowsill. I leaned my head against the window deep in thought. Wondering what I would have actually chosen to do if this hadn't happened yet it brought some sadness because without all of this I may not have ever met my friends. Before I knew it I had fallen asleep on the windowsill.
~~~~~
4 years ago
Today was my day off so I decided to walk to the library in town. I needed a new book as well as return the one I had for the last few weeks. Stefano was a very nice old man, he was small though but he still had a very heavy Italian accent. He came to the states before everything had happened with his wife and they had owned a library that was much bigger than this one. However him and his wife were never able to have kids so they in some ways they adopted me. Yet two years ago his wife, Lucia, had passed. So now it was me who kept him company whenever I could.
He promised to teach me how to speak the language on my days off but most of the time he was dealing with the officers. So I began to somewhat teach myself with one of those English to Italian dictionaries he had lent me. I was no were close to being fluent however.
"Good morning Stefano. Any new books?" I joke.
"Buongiorno Allonia." He smiled at me as I leaned on the counter. "I do have some books that I had to get together before they came and destroyed them." He stated with much distaste.
"What kinds of books?" I asked as I followed him to the neat pile he had in his office.
"The whole dystopian genre, some adventure books, all of the books that are against what they want us to do, imbecilli."
"Language Stefano." I giggle.
"I did not curse, young lady." He chuckles at me as we rummage through the books.
"What about this one?" I asked showing him a book.
"No, cucciola. There is a better one somewhere." He stated as he went through the books. "Found it." He smiled handing me the book.
"Anthem?" I asked.
"You will like it. Trust me."
"You have yet to be wrong have you?" I chuckle to myself and he smiles.
"Now go before the officers come back. Have fun reading your book, cucciola." He smiled at me warmly before I hugged him goodbye.
"Ciao." I smile attempting Italian.
"You are getting there. Goodbye." He waved me off.

When I made it back home I went straight to my room and began reading. Before I knew it, it was already time for dinner. Which meant I skipped lunch. My stomach is going to hate me if I don't go eat now. I put my book in my box under my bed and made my way downstairs.
"She leaves her room finally." Andreus rolls his eyes as I punch his shoulder.
"What was that for." He groaned rubbing his shoulder.
"For being an ass." I rolled my eyes.
"Language Allonia." My mom scolds me.
"I am sorry mom. I shall rephrase. Andreus it was for being a big fat meanie." I giggle and she just shakes her head trying to hold back her laughter.
"How was seeing Stefano?" My mom finally asks as she finishes up dinner.
"It was good. He has to get rid of some books though. Orders given by the government." I say annoyance in my voice.
"Did you get a new book?" Ancel asked as he walked to the table.
"Yep, but you cant read it," I tell him.
"Why not?" He begins to pout.
"You are too young, that's why," I smirk.
"So are you!" He groans.
"Come on set up the table you two. Andreus help me carry these to the table before your father and sister get home." My mom tells us as we all begin to help.
~~~~~
I woke up feeling nice and cozy under blankets. I sat up and began to rub my eyes before I came to the realization that I was in a bed. How did I get here last night? I must have walked up half asleep. I stretch my arms before getting out of bed. It was still early as there was still no daylight, so I had time to shower and change. I grabbed some clothing from the drawer and went to the bathroom.
I allowed myself to bask in the warmth of the water. I had taken out my braids so that I could wash my hair from the sweat and dirt that came with walking through the forest. The warm water felt amazing on my scalp. I really could get used to this. As soon as I was finished washing my hair and bathing I dried the ends of my curls with a cotton shirt and grabbed a towel to dry my body. I braided my semi damp hair and put it in a bun for the day at least. I got dressed in a pair of sweat pants and a graphic t-shirt. I had my pullover hoodie in case I got cold later on but right now it is roughly late spring so it wasn't likely that I would need it.
When I was finished getting ready there was a knock on the door. "You can come in!" I called.
"We need to leave in a few minutes so that we can make it before sundown," Milo tells me and I nod. I walked out of the bathroom packing my bag.
"I will be down in a minute," I respond and he leaves the room but just as quick as he left Damian walks in. "What brings you here?" I ask with a raise of the eyebrow.
"Haven't talked to my somewhat friend in a while." He joked sitting on the large bed. When I woke up I didn't get a chance to analyze this room. The bed was a king bed with light bedding. Whereas the bedroom was a lot darker. A contrast that usually didn't work worked here I guess.
"Somewhat friend? Why not an actual friend?" I joke.
"Who are you and what have you done with Allonia? Did Quincy brainwash you?" Damian faked being scare.
"Ha-ha so funny," I rolled my eyes "what has been going on since I have been gone?"
"Milo has been his usual military mode self. Lenna was worried about you, honestly we all were." He admits.
"I was scared too, but there is no time for fear right now," I tell him and he nods in agreement. Shortly after our short conversation we both grabbed our things and went downstairs.
"Let's get moving shall we?" Lenna smiled warmly putting an arm around me. Walking into the abyss. Tonight I will see Chief Gam and hopefully she can help me.