Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen
Milo
I woke up in the middle of the night extremely thirsty and hot so I decided to go downstairs for some water. I made my way into the kitchen finding water in the fridge when I heard light snoring in the library. I took a sip of my water before putting it in the pocket of my sweatpants. I walked into the library to find Allonia asleep her head leaning on the windowsill. Her braids were slightly messy allowing some of her curls to escape from them.
I walked over quietly trying not to wake her, and proceeded to pick her up to take her to her room. No doubt regardless she was going to wake up to a pain in her neck. I positioned her in my arms so that she could rest her head on my shoulder as I walked her upstairs. She still clung to the book which put a smile on my face. "Stubborn woman." I chuckle to myself. I finally got her to her room slowly opening the door walking her to her bed. Laying her there gently and pulling the blankets over her. Gently I pried the book from her greedy hands and placed it on the bedside table.

The following morning I woke up before dawn. I am never going to get enough sleep. I roll my eyes to myself and get up from the bed. I take a quick shower to wash off all of the sweat and dirt from the day before. When I got out I got dressed putting on a pair of grey sweat pants and a black long-sleeve. I put my things in my bag carefully placing the book I had found that Allonia brought up. Anthem, odd title. However, it was pretty good. I put the bag outside of my door and walk towards Allonia's door. I heard her walking around her room but I didn't want to barge in so I just knocked.
"You can come in!" She called. When I opened the door she was walking out of the bathroom with her things. Her hair was neatly braided now and the remaining hair was in a bun. I watched as she began to get her things together.
I pulled myself from the trance that I was in, "We need to leave in a few minutes so that we can make it before sundown." I tell her as she begins packing her bag.
"I will be down in a minute." She responds looking at me but quickly going back to her bag.
I quickly leave the room and make my way downstairs. I grabbed the spare bag Mag gave us and began to pack it with some water, food, and other minor things.
"How did you sleep?" Lenna asks as she made her way into the kitchen.
"Alright." I lie somewhat. I don't know what Chief Gam is going to say. She could choose to help Allonia but also she can choose not to. Yet either way there is a chance that I never see Allonia again. I already messed up once I can't do that again.
~~~~~
1 year ago
"You really like this girl don't you?" Tamia asks me as I give her the bag of goods.
"What girl?" I ask.
"Don't get me wrong I adore having you over a lot but I feel like you met a girl from the town nearby." She smiles at me as we walked into her home.
"I don't know what you are talking about." I shrug it off.
"What is her name?" She asks me pointedly. I am screwed.
"Allonia."
"Does she know who you are?" She asks and I shake my head. "Does she like you?"
"I assume so."
"You know that this may not be able to work. I love that you are happy but sweetie I don't want you to get hurt." She tells me as she hugs me.
"I know." Is all I can say. I didn't like it but it had to be that way. It's not like she could just leave or that she would leave for me. So I came up with a plan. Tomorrow night I would see her again. One last time.

I wrote a note and snuck into her town to post it on her window. I remembered her home from when I made sure that she made it home safely after the night of the masquerade. Hopefully she notices it and she meets me tonight. I paced nervously in Tamia's living room waiting for the sun to begin to set. God this is painful. What if she doesn't come? Well then again I will know how she feels. It would suck but it would be easier to get over.
"Stop pacing boy!" Tamia yelled startling me. "You will ruin my rug." She continued to scold me.
"Sorry, I am nervous," I admit. It wasn't like she couldn't tell.
"Do you have a mask?"
"Well no," I tell her confused.
"Here take this." She tells me handing me a similar mask to the one I had on the night I met Allonia. "Regardless of feelings, you can't risk it." I just nod and take it.

I left Tamia's home just before sundown and made my way to the border. Please let her come. I honestly don't know how I would feel if she didn't come. I began pacing again when I reached the border. It was dark enough that if you were close you could see me but not if you were looking from a distance. Hopefully she sees me.
After a few hours, I had begun to lose hope of her showing up. Until I heard her voice.
"M?" She asked. I couldn't hole my excitement much turning around. I hate that she couldn't see my face but it had to be this way. But god she was prettier now than she was that night. Her curls were framing her face perfectly and the way she looked at me even in the dark I knew she had the same feelings I had even if she hasn't seen my face. This however still made my chest tight. Damn I have gone soft.
I began to walk towards her finally, "I was beginning to think you wouldn't come."
"I was shocked to see the letter." she retorts smugly.
"I didn't exactly want to leave you hanging." I chuckled to myself. I was still nervous especially with how close she was at this point.
"And I was beginning to think I was going crazy." She smiled at me. "What took you so long?" She asked as we began to walk in the forest a little bit. Her smile was illuminating. It made me feel good that the smile was brought because of me.
"I don't exactly live in your town. Me and my friends just decided to crash your town's dance." I shrugged. Which wasn't a complete lie?
"So where do you live?" She follows up. She is too smart for this but I can't admit this to her even though I know I could trust her. I just couldn't risk it.
"In a town close by," I tell her. I already know she doesn't believe me but she does drop it at that.
"Why the mask?"
"I can't get caught and I also shouldn't be here."
"Then why are you here?"
"I wanted to see you again," I tell her as I look down at her nervously. There wasn't the biggest difference in height she was of decent height however it was enough for me to look down at her.
"This is the last time I will see you isn't it?" she asks just ripping off the bandaid. I hate doing this to her. I could see the pain evident on her face. I didn't want to do this, I didn't want to hurt her but I had to.
"Yes." I simply state yet I couldn't hide the pain in my voice. The one good thing in this hard life even after a short time I had to let her go. It would never work. I gently place my hand on her cheek allowing my thumb caress her cheek as a tear ran down her cheek. I pulled her close to my chest and let her let the emotions out.
"Let me go with you." She asked me tears staining her face.
"I can't let you do that. You have a family. This is how it needs to be." I tell her as I wipe away the tears, but she pushes me away.
"How are you going to tell me?" She snaps at me. "You barely know me!"
"Please calm down," I beg her. My heart was breaking for her, for whatever this was.
"Just go." She continued to cry.
"Allonia," I beg.
"Go! Leave just like everything else!" She yells pushing me away. I didn't expect to fall for her. I didn't mean to. I walked away quietly as her sobs continued. I hid behind a tree not too far away and waited for her to collect herself and walk away defeated. When I knew she was safe I made my way home. Slowly beginning to hate myself with every step I took away from her.
~~~~~
I removed myself from my thoughts when I heard footsteps. Allonia and Damian made their way to the kitchen where Lenna and I were.
"Are you guys ready?" Allonia asked as Lenna and I both nodded. "It's judgment day. Let's pray for the best."
"We got this." Damian smiled.
"And worst case we got you Lonia." Lenna smiled at her.
Today is judgment day, and hopefully we don't burn from the rath that is Chief Gam.