Chapter One

Chapter One
     The air was calm and still. You could feel the air as you moved past it. Crisp and clear. The sun was beaming and you could touch every ray, feeling its warmth radiate on your palm. Then all you hear are gunshots, cries of pain, the cries of children. That's what happened during the war. Even though I was so young I still remember the day. I was 10 years old, I just wanted to go outside. I was inside for so long. I should have listened to my parents, my siblings, but I didn't. I wanted fresh air, to feel the sun on my skin, to smell the world, to feel it. I didn't know what I would see that day. I was naive at best. Hell I was stupid, I was a selfish young child.

     I didn't understand why we were held like animals. There are times where I still don't. When I went outside I saw the crowds on the street screaming, and yelling. And as soon as I heard the screams began to get louder, I heard the gunshots. My neighbors were shot dead for fighting for what they believed. I watched as the blood ran across the road as the massacre began. More cries and gunshots as I stood their stund and in shock. In fear of what was to come. What leads to people being so angry and animalistic.

      That’s when I lost my childhood. That's when I realized I had to grow up. When the world decided it did not care for whom I was and my young years but only to destroy whatever was in its path. They didn't believe that they were animals. They didn’t want to feel like animals. They just felt their rights being ripped away, as if their skin was getting torn off piece by piece. As if they were wild beasts. As if the animals inside of them took over. They didn’t want to be tamed wild beasts, and they were willing to fight even if it meant their own lives.

~~~~
10 years ago
“You can’t just trap us here!” A man screamed at the guard.
“Back away before someone gets hurt.” The officer stated calmly, holding his position.
“Fuck you. All you guys do is hide behind your guns and your government, but all you guys are, are scared little kids. You won’t do anything.” The man spat at the officer as other officers began to surround the people. I was in perfect view to see everything that was going on. It was scary but my eyes were glued to what was taking part in front of me.
All of a sudden I watched the man’s fist connect with the officer's face as another shot him 3 clean times in the chest and the man fell onto the ground in a pool of his own blood. There were some people who screamed and others who continued to fight, yet they soon were put to a stop because all of those who began to fight back were shot dead and ended with the same fate as the first man.
“Get back in your homes or the rest of you will end up like them!” An officer called to all of those who were in ear shot. The people who began the riot were all dead on the ground. Few still with their children in their arms when they tried to run away. Some of the children that did survive were being picked up carelessly and put into trucks. All I felt was my father pick me up and carry me inside but I still couldn’t take my eyes away from what I saw. At the time I didn’t know that would haunt me for the rest of my life.
~~~~
     "Come on Allonia. We have to keep moving." Lenna told me as she shook me awake.
     "How long was I asleep for?" I asked, putting my bag on my back.
     "An hour or so. It's dark now so we need to find somewhere to actually rest." She explained as she put her knife in her boot.
     We had been in the woods for a few days because the government didn't come here for some reason. They are at the top of the food chain and yet they are scared of the woods. Honestly, I used to be scared of the woods, but when I realized the government feared it I found reason to begin to admire it. It's been just Lenna and I.
     We usually are the ones to look for supplies for our families because not many people expect females to do much. It's as if we are in the 17th century or something. Anyway, we have been here for the past few days trying to scrawned up anything anyone could have left behind with being on the run away from what we call society now.
     “Stop.” Lenna whispered. We both paused and listened.
     “What is it?” I ask her as she listens.
     “I hear a lake, or river.” She smiles and starts running towards the sound. I chase after her. Feeling the best I had since all of this had started. It has only been ten years but it feels like more. We dropped our bags on the river side, careful to keep them hidden, and jumped into the river. The river was warm from the days worth of sun. Bringing back memories from when I was young and summers my family would go to the beach and soak up the warm sun.
~~~~~
11 years ago
“Allonia, it’s not that bad.” My mom smiled as she tried to coax me into the water.
“No, there are sharks.” I shook my head.
“Scaredy cat.” Andreus taunted me.
“Daddy. Andreus is being a big fat meany.” I whined as I tattled on my older brother.
“Come on Lonia. I will go in with you.” Alondra smiled as she held my hand and walked into the water with me.
“See it’s not that bad.” My dad smiled at me as he held my baby brother.
~~~~~
     “I heard it come from over here!” I heard someone call. I looked at Lenna as we moved silently but fast to go get our bags and leave. It was too good to be true. That we could actually have the slightest moment of happiness and feed our inner child.
     “No one comes out here. It is only us.” Another voice stated. You could hear the annoyance in his voice.
     “I am telling you people going into the river.” The one I could recognize as a young teen, possibly.
     “Again no one comes here. They all know better than to come here.” The other one stated he sounded older than the other one.
     “Lets go.” Lenna mouthed as we got to our bags. We snuck off just as quickly as we had come.