Chapter Twenty Five

"He is a very nice man." Alondra smirks at me as I wiped away my tears. I collected myself enough to turn and glare at my sister.
"How have you been?" I ask, changing the subject.
"The officers were questioning us a lot about your absence. Luckily your friends got us before anything bad happened. Mom took it pretty hard when you left." She looked down at her hands for a moment before continuing. "We all did."
"I'm sorry. I... I just couldn't stay there and let them tear everything apart. I'm sick of it all Alondra. I really am." I admit. I can't handle any of this anymore. The constant loss, not knowing if today was going to be my last. I hate all of this, them taking away Ancel and my father was the last straw.
"We could have gotten through this together Lonia, you know this." The way she looked at me was breaking me apart. I didn't want to hurt anyone, especially my family. I guess I was doing all of this for myself.
"I know. I just... I just had to leave."
"All that matters is that we are all together now." She smiles at me even with a tear stained face. I love my sister, no matter what she always had a level head. Always had everyone's best interest in mind.
Sometimes I wished I were more like her. She was so calm and collected. Yet here I was an emotional wreck and incredibly impulsive. There was a knock on the door which I was highly confused about. Everyone was supposed to be at bootcamp. I got up and walked over to the door, which I was shocked to find Delilah.
Reluctantly I proceeded to open the door, against all of my being. "Hello Allonia." Delilah smirked. "Is Milo here?"
"He just left." I say with the most confidence I could muster.
"Oh so he left you alone? In your condition?" She tried to hold back a chuckle.
"No he didn't." I heard Alondra get up and walk over with a scowl. My sister is more of a lover than a fighter, however attack her family and then that is all out of the window. Delilah winced for a moment before regaining her composer.
"You must be her sister." Delilah smirks as she holds out a hand. "It is nice to meet you."
"I wish I could say the same." Alondra looked Delilah up and down. "Why are you here?"
"Just wanted to check on Allonia." Delilah lied through gritted through her teeth.
"Well you came and saw that she is taken care of. You may go now." Alondra hissed out before shutting the door in Delilah's face. "What is her problem?" She finally asks me.
"Long story." I mutter.
"Sit, we got time." She demands me to sit down and explain.
I sit in my seat and begin to explain the incident. As I explained I witnessed Alondra go from sadness to complete and utter anger, she looked murderous. "I am going to kill her." she growls.
"No Alondra. She may be our only hope of finding Ancel." I grab her wrist as she gets up.
"She knows you know! You can't just let her go!" I get her anger I really do but right now we had to be strategic.
"I am trying to figure out a better angle Alondra."
"Allonia she can't just get away with this and you know that." Alondra groans.
"First Delilah can be a sick person but she isn't stupid." I explain.
"Allonia you could have died!" Alondra yells.
"It was Delilah?" I hear Milo say. I catch his eyes. He was burning with rage even though he was trying to hide it. I could feel my face go pale. I didn't want him to find out like this. "You knew the whole time?" He asks finally. Our eyes are locked now. I can barely read him other than his anger.
"I didn't want to go about it the wrong way." I say, oddly I was calm. Even though I could feel my heart pounding in my chest. I watch as Milo just looks between me and Alondra.
"Don't look at me." Alondra crosses her arms looking at Milo. "I am on your side. She should have said something."
"Well do you have any better ideas?" I ask looking between the pair of them.
~~~~~~
2 years ago
    Today everyone was called to the town hall once again. It has been a while since Lenna and I went into the woods. Ever since Marie was killed we have kept a low profile, well lower than usual. The officials just wanted to have everyone in the town together. I walked in with Lenna since we were already at work before they had sent out the message that they wanted everyone.
    We took our seats and I could see my family a few rows in front of us. I watched as Ancel looked around helplessly and Andreus seated next to him. Most likely trying to calm him down. Ancel never liked these things. Every time they hold one of these someone or more dies. They have done this to keep fear in us.
    Most likely someone did something wrong and that person needs to be the example so that no one else feels the need to step out of line. Even though I hate to say it it is a smart tactic. Put the fear of God into them and they won't do anything wrong. Keeps order, even though innocent lives are taken as a "sacrifice". They still have the mass graves. Not many people are properly buried. People are either murdered or die of old age but those who are executed outweigh those who pass of natural causes.
    "For the next week everyone is to stay in their homes." The man on the speaker states. "Anyone who is not in their homes at any given time will be executed on the spot. There will be routine checks in every home, to make sure no one gets any wise ideas."
I felt a sinking feeling in my stomach. I looked over at Lenna wearily. They knew something whether it had been us or someone else regardless we were caught. Quiet frankly, I don't know who else would be dumb enough to constantly go out to the woods. Obviously it isn't safe and it is beyond hard to get past the guards on the borders.
No matter the fear the officers have they keep at about five to ten feet deep in the forest to make sure no one comes in or out of the forest. I guess Lenna and I have been lucky each time because we have yet to be properly caught. Excluding the one from a few weeks ago.
"We know some of you have been sneaking off. We will find you and you will be punished for your unruly behavior." He states.
Shortly after we are dismissed section by section to go home. We all had an hour to be inside or else. Luckily no one was killed in the meeting. I guess everyone was too scared to speak up.
"Allonia we are going to have to stop going out for a long while. Even after this they are going to be on high alert." Lenna whispers to me.
"I know. We will just have to make do with what we have for now." I whisper back. Thankfully Lenna and I don't live too far apart so we were able to walk home together for the most part.
When I finally got home my family was already inside sitting at the dining table. They all looked stressed and upset. I already knew exactly what it was going to be about. So I tried to sneak away but Andreus caught me and gave me a look. I already knew from his expression that somehow I was in trouble.
"How was work, everyone?" I asked trying to lighten the mood and my mother glared at me. I am screwed. Mental note: read the room before opening your mouth.
    "What did you do?" My mother asked, her hands were on top of eachother on the table and she was looking directly at me.
    "I did nothing. I haven't been out since Marie passed." I try and refrain from rolling my eyes.
    "You haven't angered them?" She continues to press.
    "Mom the worst I could do is leave. Yet here I still am. I haven't left in weeks. So it must have been someone else." Now I am just annoyed. They all would know if I was sneaking off so I don't understand the interrogation. "Now if you will excuse me I am going to go change." I don't wait for a response, my dad just gives my mom a look but none of them press for anything else.
    I rush to my room getting things to get out of my work clothes. I decided to take a shower and wash my hair removing the braids that I had placed a few nights before. After my shower I look at myself in the mirror. I am tired, I look tired. I look a lot smaller and not in a good way. Granted I was still a good bit of muscle but I still didn't look all that healthy. I guess this has been happening for a while. I look dull.
    I don't dwell on my appearance much longer proceeding to get dressed and head back to my room. Once I was in my room I grabbed Anthem. I sat there re-reading for a while. A story of a faceless society. Well at least your face is hidden from yourself. In a way I guess our government is faceless. We don't know who the president is I don't even think his officers know who he is. I allow myself to get consumed by the book until I drift off, into dreams of being away from this place. Away from this Hell.
~~~~~
    "I am figuring out a way to break out the kids." Milo finally breaks the silence. Alondra looks at Milo with wide eyes.
    "You know where Ancel is?" Alondra asks looking between both Milo and I. We both nod to Alondra as she glares at me. "You knew this whole time?" She has a right to be angry but I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up. Especially our mom's, she was broken enough as is.
    "Jacob Raphael and I are coming up with something. As soon as a concrete plan is figured out we will include you and your family." Milo admits. I look at him still in shock. How long has he been planning this? "Chief is mostly on board with this."
    "How long do you have to figure everything out?" I ask. He looks at me giving me a knowing look.
    "Until Friday with a plan." He responds. "You aren't going."
    I know he cares but he is not going to keep me from doing this. I came here and risked my life on multiple occasions all for my brother. I am going to see this out, and I promise you nothing is going to stop me from going.
    "You aren't stopping me." I stand up feeling my anger get the best of me.
    "Yes I am." He retorts, arms crossed keeping his stance.
    "I am not going to just sit here!" I growl. I watch from the corner of my eye as Alondra sneaks out of the home. Leaving Milo and I to our burning tempers. I keep my eyes locked with his. I understand that I am hurt but I can still help. I am not going to let anything worse happen to him.
    "Allonia you are hurt enough. Not to pour salt on the wound but you almost died." Milo's eyes soften as he walks closer to me. Taking his steps carefully as I am still burning holes through his head.
    "I don't care. I started this, I am going to end this." I stand my ground. I am way too stubborn to be talked down and I guess he knows this because he just wraps his arms around me tenderly putting his head in the nape of my neck.
    "You're not going to budge are you?" he asks me. I feel the vibrations of his voice on my skin allowing my anger to begin to subside.
    "You know I'm not going to." I tell him as he finally looks up. I see something flash in his eyes. I can't tell what it is because it goes rather quickly. He rubs his thumb on my cheek.
    "Fine but whatever happens you stay with me. I can't lose you again." He admits placing his forehead on top of mine. I just wrap my arms around his waist placing my head on his chest. Listening to his racing heartbeat as it begins to slow.