Chapter Thirty-Two (Final Chapter)

Today is the day, we get the kids and we also save my brother. I put on my black leggings, combat boots, and a black long sleeve t-shirt. Placing my knife in my boot and a few other weapons in my belt. I was going to meet the group at the cars like we planned. I kept having the plan run through my head. The group that is scoping out the government camp has been there for three days now. They have been sending the chief information. Tomorrow they had to change guards so tonight was the night. My hair was in a braided low bun, I had to bobby pin many parts to keep it from moving.
    Now that I was ready I had to run over to the car area. I can't be late because if I was, Milo already said that they would leave me. It was an hour drive away so we had to leave right before sunset to make it in time for the guards to take a break. As I ran across the camp I felt my heart thudding in my chest. Was it fear or anticipation? Maybe both. I can't make this all for nothing. Yes, this is big, we are saving many orphaned kids. But as selfish as it sounds, it wouldn't be worth it if I can't get my brother.
    Finally, I make it to the cars almost out of breath as Luna is talking to Lenna. "Wow, you weren't kidding." Luna jokes as I look up and glare at her.
    "Shut up...your brother... said that I ... couldn't be ... late." I say in between gasps.
    "I also told you that you should still be healing. However, you don't listen." Milo retorts as he walks over to me.
    "You know I am stubborn." I smile at him as he rolls his eyes but smiles nonetheless.
    "Alright everyone knows their positions. We barricade the cars only allowing the kids in the trucks and vans. Any other car is used to transport the rest of the team unless we need more room for the kids." Raphael commands as Milo nods his approval.
    "This could backfire so everyone needs to stay with one other person at least," Milo adds.
    "But most importantly, let's light up some government officers!" Jacob yells from the van he is in. Everyone laughs then runs to their assigned vehicles.
    I was with Lenna and Milo. "Are you sure you're ready for this?" Milo asks, looking at me as he starts the car.
    "Born ready," I tell him confidently even though the pit of my stomach said otherwise.
~~~~~
10 years ago
    Today was the day we were being relocated. I was scared out of my mind. We were forced onto a bus, only allowed two bags per person which was generous they said. We grew up in this house and now we were forced out of it. Alondra was helping me hurry and pack my bags.
    "What about my toys?" I asked her as she folded my clothes expertly.
    "Pick five of your smaller toys. Only your favorites." She tells me as she continues to get our clothing together. I rummaged around the house finding my stuffed toys. I found my stitch out of the mess of toys in the center of the living room. I found my toothless in the dining room. As I ran past the hallway my eye catches a glimpse of a family photo from last year. Ancel was crying, Andreus was ruffling my hair as Alondra was trying to get him to stop, all while mom and dad were laughing at how ridiculous we all were. I picked up the photo and held it under my small arm as I tried to find other things.
    When I finally got back to the room I had Alondra's old iPhone, Andreus' basketball jersey, Ancel's baby lamb, the family photo, my stitch, and finally my toothless. "I got everything." I smile as I pile them onto the bed.
    "You didn't want more toys?" my sister asked me. She was giving me a funny look.
    "Yup these all mean a lot to me because it means a lot to you guys." I nodded for emphasis. Alondra smiles at me as she squeezes everything into my last suitcase.
    "Girls they are going to be here in ten minutes," Dad told us as he came into the room.
    "We are just about ready," Alondra said as she placed the last things in her bags. Dad took the already closed bags and walked downstairs. "I can get the rest."

Ten minutes later as promised we were squeezed into a bus. There were some babies crying, as well as some sad children. I saw a little boy that I recognized as Damian from my 4th-grade class. Everything is going to be different. I was seated in between Andreus and Alondra. Everyone's bags were under the bus. Apparently, the drive was going to be 2 hours long. I did sleep most of the ride though, thankfully.
When I finally woke up we were at a new "town". I don't know if I could honestly call it that. It was mostly just homes. "Get out, get your bags and meet at the town hall." The bus driver announces as we all proceed to get off of the bus.
"This is it." My mom tells us as we all walked with the crowd to the town hall. Surrounded by somber faces.
~~~~~
    "We are here," Milo states as he turns off the headlights. Backing up so that the back was facing the camp. The rest of the cars did the same. "Lenna keep an eye on Allonia."
    "We know to stay here." Lenna rolled her eyes as we got out of the car.
    "I'm making sure Lonia knows." He gives me a pointed look.
    "Lighten up my friend. We are about to do a grand deed." Jacob slung his arm over Milo's shoulder. Milo's face palmed as we all laughed.
    "Yeah lighten up Milo." Kenzo jokes.
    "Why is he here?" Milo scowls at anyone who dared to look at him.
    "Your girlfriend invited me." Kenzo smirks.
    "I thought it was fair. He did help with the Delilah situation." I shrug. However, I began avoiding Milo's eye contact.
    "Whatever you stay here with the girls." Raphael butts in. "Every pair gets a walkie talkie." Raphael begins as he hands out a walkie talkie to every other person. "Only used in an emergency." Everyone nods as Milo's goes off.
    "It's showtime." Ted's voice rings through the group.
    "Stay safe back here!" Milo calls to the group of us that are staying by the cars.