Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight
    I officially hate walking. I mark this moment in time as the time where I claimed that I hate walking. This whole week has consisted of walking and right now is the time my body decides to focus on the pain I feel in my feet. Quincy is still looking fairly angry and annoyed. Where as Mag has just stayed by me. Probably just to distance herself from him.
    "Are we going to stop soon?" I complain.
    "When the sun begins to set we will pitch tents." Quincy states as he continues to move.
    I just groaned in response because it was only the middle of the day so we had a while to go. This forest honestly feels endless. It probably was endless. I rolled my eyes at the thought and continued moving even though my feet didn't want me to.
    As we continued walking towards god knows where, my mind decided to wander off and begin to think of my friends. Should I even call them that? Lenna is my only actual friend. Whereas I just met Damian, well again. However, I did just meet Milo. I don't get why I am beginning to care so much. I just need to get to my brother and go back home. Even though that isn't much of a home at this point.
~~~~~
8 years ago
    I put my earbuds in and started to write in my journal. There isn't much to do with phones because the government has complete control over everything. However I can still listen to music.
They took away school as soon as you turn 13 years old. So I guess this is my last year of "freedom" if you can even call it that. Next year I will have to begin working. Not like I have any choice though. I hate this. I really really hate this. My parents tell me not to use the word hate because then it shows you care. Which I shouldn't because I have no control over it but then again that is what makes me hate it. I want to have some kind of control over my life.
Everyone is upset with the choice I made to not make any friends, but I don't see the point in that. I can't trust anyone but myself. And what's the point of making friends if they could easily be taken away from me? Exactly no point whatsoever. Just like there is no point to this stupid phone. You can't text or call because the government has control over that. Can't text because they took that away. No games because you should be working. There will be some point where they most likely will take the music option away. At that moment my music cut off. I pulled out the earbuds and just put the phone into my drawer. So much for the phone.
~~~~~
    We eventually did stop to set up camp for the night. As Quincy got food together and Mag got the tents put up. I had to get firewood. You could imagine how non-excited I was about this. More walking, yay. Sarcasm, obviously. I walked out to the abyss that is this forest. I can't fully hate it here though. Even though it intraps the government at this point it is still beautiful in its own way. It's never ending but it keeps you from thinking of what is on the other side, good or bad.
    I wandered around a little bit to find some wood that could be used for firewood before I started to hear rustling around me.
    "Whoever is there I have a gun." I lie. As the figure comes near me and I pull out my knife.
    "Allonia." Milo gasped as he pulled me into a tight hug. I felt myself hug him back and bask in the warmth that was in his arms. "Are you okay? Did they hurt you?" He began to stammer as he let go of me. I had to hide my displeasure of him letting go of me.
    "I am fine." I respond as I pick up the wood that I had found.
    "You need to come back. Your friend is with the government. You aren't safe." He says as he begins to look around to make sure we are safe.
    "No, I am fine. Mag promised to help me." I explain.
    "Mag?" He asked confused before he realized who I was talking about. "I forgot Mag was there. It's been way too long. Anyway, I can't let you go back in good conscience."
"Good thing it's not your choice to make." I roll my eyes.
"Are you serious? The government can't be trusted."
"Mag seems to me just as fine. I don't see why I can't."
"Mag has been trained, you haven't. How am I so sure you can protect yourself?" He asked me as I glared at him.
"How do you think Lenna and I survived coming back and forth from the forest to our homes? Dodging not only the government but your people as well?" I spoke harshly.
"These guys are different. They aren't your timid fearful officers you have in your town which won't chase you. And for my people we won't chase two little girls." He hissed back.
I didn't know what I wanted to do more in that moment. Either to punch him or to strangle him. However, no matter how much I hated it he was somewhat right. But there was no way in hell I was going to admit that. That would honestly stroke his ego a little too much.
"Well this little girl is going to find her brother with or without your help. Now if you excuse me I have to get back to my camp before it gets too dark." I tell him calmly as I begin to walk away.
"I am sorry Lonia." He tells me, making me pause. He sounded scared but I guess he figured out I am going to do this regardless. "Listen, we are going to stay close behind you to make sure you are safe. Just please don't do anything stupid." He begged.
"I can only half promise." I half joked. I wasn't exactly lying, I am honestly bound to do something irrational. He just chuckled in response.
"Hurry up Allonia. It's getting dark!" Mag called.
"Coming!" I called back. Milo pulled me into another tight hug. If only this was a fairytale, right? Or one of those romantic comedies. But nope. I have to suck everything up. I hate this world. He finally lets go and I rush off towards camp.
"What took so long?" Mag asked me as I got back to camp.
"I was admiring the forest." I lied and she just gave me a knowing look.
"Next time admire it a little less because it's almost dark."Quincy stated, taking the firewood and starting to get it all together to get the fire started.
We ate dinner then went into our tents to get some sleep. However I couldn't exactly sleep. Thoughts kept rushing through my head about this past week. If you were to tell me that I would be involved with all of this a few years ago, even if you told me two weeks ago I would have told you that you were crazy.
The following morning I woke up to noises around our little camp. I grabbed my knife from my bag quickly and slowly opened the tent just enough for me to see better.
"Quincy you aren't a high enough rank to be doing this." One of the officers laughed.
"This will put me there. She wants her brother, and that's how we are going to get her recruited." Quincy responded.
"And what if you can't do that?" the officers retorted.
"Honestly all she will need is to see him. You can do what you please with him after that." He brushed the officer off.
"You aren't serious now are you?" The officer laughed in response.
"Are you done? She doesn't know anything and I want to keep it that way." Quincy snapped.
"Well from my knowledge you brought her to one of the bases. So anyone with enough wit will know you aren't with the foresters." The officer rolled his eyes, but him and his group still left without another word.
I quickly closed my tent and put my knife in my boot. What did I just get myself into? I seriously just dug myself into a bigger hole than I was in previously. I don't know if I can do this.
~~~~~
9 years ago
"Time for recess kids." My teacher told us, as my classmates began to run out of the room and outside. I just stayed in my seat and took out my notebook and began to do my homework for tonight.
"Allonia? You should be outside." She told me calmly. I don't know why she always says that we go through this everyday and it lasts the whole recess time.
"I want to get work done." I simply respond and proceed to get my math work done.
"I know but you should be with the other kids." She tells me as she sits next to me. "You know, make some new friends?"
"We both know that is not happening." I tell her. I took out my watermelon gummies out of my bookbag and proceeded to eat one.
"Why not though? The other kids are very nice, plus there have been a few that have tried to be your friend." I just shrug at her in response. I know kids have tried but I don't see the reason.
"Gummy?" I ask as I hand her the bag and she takes one.
"How do you always have these?"
"I only eat one here and there to save them. I know we can't always get them."
I watch as her eyes soften. I don't want anyone's pity or sympathy. I don't see the point when we are all going through this.
"Why don't we take this outside to get some fresh air at least?" She asked me.
"But you have lunch?" I say confused.
"I will take it outside but I do want to see you try and play with the other kids." She tells me and I just nod. I put my gummies in my bag and we both go outside.
When we first went outside we just sat out at the benches. I watched as my classmates ran around the playground without a care in the world. Some were playing tag while others were on the swings. It did bring a smile on my face, I won't lie about that but it was short lived when a child screamed. My teacher and I ran towards the scream. As did everyone else. When we finally reached the girl and found what she had screamed about we were all mortified. At the edge of the playground was a ditch. It was pretty deep but we were always told not to go near it. I guess Sarah didn't get the memo. We didn't understand why, we just knew to stay away but I guess we found out today. There were many dead bodies in the ditch. I guess this was where they were putting all the bodies of those who died by the hands of the officers and government in the area.
"Alright kids go inside and go to your seats. Hurry up." My teacher told us all but I couldn't move. It took my teacher grabbing my hand and running me to the classroom. I guess they really don't care about us.