Chapter 23 - The Fire Temple!

I took a moment to really let this scene sink in. This hulk Hogan! Left  four dead! Streetfighter DLC character is my spirit animal. This thing is supposed to be the thing that's connected to my soul? The thing that's basically my other half?

"Back in the great Nut war of eighty five I killed squirrels and badgers bigger than you." The general muttered off to himself.

Now for the other elephant in the room. Nutterbutters, his name was general NutterButters. That wasn't a title, that was his name.

I squinted my eyes and stared at him. He had his arms folded and was going on tangents. He kept talking about this great Nut war he was a part of. I looked over to Max, who was still in meditation mode. And guess what he had? Butterflies! He had rainbow colored butterflies all around him!

It's like dealing with charming all over again…

"That's interesting…" I heard Arrow say.

"This can't be right! What is this thing!? Did I fart or something during meditation!?" I cried out.

"I bet you would too. Just like a twig." The squirrel huffed.

I just growled.

"No, these things only work one way. You can't make a mistake.  Especially a child of Gaea." Arrow said. "Plus Max over there has called out a rather ancient familiar."

Max slowly opened his eyes. He seemed calm, at peace. But then he opened his eyes and saw me. And he literally jumped and all his colorful butterflies flew away.

"Santo cielo!" He cried.

"Edens espíritu animal." Arrow replied with a rather nice Spanish accent.

The squirrel jumped off my arm and I started hearing many voices around the forest. I'm assuming everyone else just heard animal sounds though…

I closed my eyes and focused on the shape and size. And I slowly became horrified. It was a horde! A horde of squirrels! 

I quickly stood up and watched as my familiar proudly strolled to the edge of the woods. Arrow and Max didn't say a word. They just watched. 

"Eden, what's happening?" Max asked.

"It just occurred to me. My familiar’s name is General Nutterbutters. Which would stand to reason he's a general of something." I muttered. 

"Sir!" I heard hundreds of squirrels call out as we all could finally see the hundreds of different kinds of squirrels appear.

They all surrounded us. Filling every tree like leaves to the branches.

"What," Arrow mumbled.

"I think my familiar is the king of squirrels," I said as I slowly walked over to him. 

"General, I am the general. I've had that title since the great Nut war of eighty-five." He grumbled.

"R-right," I muttered.

"Alright listen up maggots! This is my new master! His name is twig boy!"

"Hey! It's Eden! My name is Eden!"

"Caren." He said.

"Eden!"

"Fine, I forget you fleshy folk is sensitive. Anyways, Oden here is my master. But I refuse. So I'm giving him second in command to the great Nut soldiers. So Adon here is in charge when we're not fighting the good fight."

Did, did I just become a squirrel commander?

Before I could even process this I felt him smacked the back of my knees. I dropped to the ground and I felt his warm and firm grip on my head. And it was at this moment I realized. He could just totally kill me.