Chapter 39 - 64 Questions

"So, let me get this straight. You're aiding in a civil war and trying to undermine the earth Guardian. You've managed to hurt yourself so bad fighting your sister that you think you've permanently damaged your arm, and you've got girl issues?" Rushon repeated back to me. 

"Hombre, eres como un amuleto de la mala suerte.." Max mumbled.

"What was that?"

"I said that's rough buddy." Max reiterated. 

Max held out his box lunch to me. The tangy sweet aroma of his quesadilla barged it's way into my nose. 

"You can have the rest." Max said and flashed me a smile.

You know, I was hesitant when Rushon said he was bringing Max with him. But he was pretty alright. I took the box from him and immediately started to dig in. 

"You're the best!" I Cheered.

"So Eden, is this normal for Aden to disappear like that?" Rushon asked.

I quickly swallowed and took a breath. Then looked over to Rushon.

"Honestly we can just ignore that. I've got bigger fish to fry with the whole adventurer test and civil war coming up." I replied.

"Are you saying that because it's truly what you're worried about? Or are you just trying to avoid thinking about it?" Rushon asked and I looked away from him. 

"It's just not that important in the grand scheme of things…" I mumbled. 

"It's about what's important to you."

Max nodded.

"I don't mean to get morbid. But when my padre died, I couldn't focus on much of anything. I even started messing up the simple dishes." Max added.

I looked over to him and I was a bit surprised. That was really vulnerable of him. 

"Yeah, I don't have something that extreme. But when my ex-girlfriend cheated on me, it made it hard to focus on anything right. So I tried shoving it down, but that only messed me up more." Rushon said.

For whatever reason, my body felt warm. A part of me just wanted to talk. Yet, when I tried to, the words were stuck in my throat.

"L-look, I'll be fine, really. It's not like I haven't been good at shoving everything down already." I said and forced out laugh.

"Well why is that?" Rushon asked.

"What other choice do I have when the whole world is against me!?" 

"Why do you think that?" 

"Because it has to be true! I grew up with a dad who hated me, I finally got a mom and a sister, and they both hate me because I was born wrong! Then my best friends starts lying to me, and I lose the only person who's ever liked me! Then I get her back! And hear the words I've waited years to hear! Only to have it ruined because I can't look at her the same!" 

Something cold streamed down my face, and my heart was pounding against my chest. No, crap! I lost it! I wiped my face immediately and looked away.

"S-sorry, the quesadillas were spicy." I mumbled. 

"Eden, I'm sorry that's-" Rushon started, but I interrupted him. 

"No, it's fine. I'm fine. I'm not gonna let life win. It's not going to beat me. I'll keep fighting, and I'll show them. She'll see I'm not a mistake."

I jump as Rushon quickly embraced me. 

"Hey! What are you-"

"Eden, you're not a mistake. I know it's hard, but you're fine just the way you are."