Chapter Twenty-four

Sorry for the late update, especially to bibliophilek.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Claire's P.O.V.

I couldn't believe it, my mind was left spinning at the realization that the woman in front of me was my mother. The broad shouldered man next to her stood at probably six two. I was staring at his eyes when I saw that they were grey eyes that were swirled with purple, exactly like my own eyes

"Dad?" My voice was a shaky whisper.

"I've always wanted to meet you and talk to you, my child." His baritone voice enveloped me in a sense of calm.

"Then why didn't you?" I asked, drawing in a labored breath.

"It was too dangerous to bring you into my world. Your mother was the only one who could be with you without even being detected. However, the demon and banshee that I charged with keeping you safe betrayed me and your, mother."

"Who are you exactly?"

"I am known by many names but my original name is Lucifer."

"I hate to interrupt, but I think we should go inside," Kaname said, cutting off the words I was about to say.

"Of course. After you."

Everyone walked into the house and into the living room. I sat on the loveseat and Kumura sat next to me. Kaname and Yuna took the bench under the window, my parents sat on the couch across from us and Yuki sat on Senri's lap in the reclining arm chair.

I was the first to break the silence, "Who were they?  Charles and Susan, I mean," I asked.

"Charles and Susan, or as we knew them, Zaebos and Olmna, were our trusted allies.  They didn't hesitate to take you in when we asked them to keep you safe.  We considered them friends."  His voice was pained when he spoke, like remembering was physically hurting him.

"Why would they try to hurt me?" I asked.  I had been asking myself since the incident occurred.

"Power."  His one word answer sent a shiver down my spine.  Kumura wrapped his arm around my waist, drawing me closer to his body.

"Whenever mom was with me, I felt this overwhelming power coursing through my body.  Is that the power you're talking about?"

"Yes, your power within you has slowly been awakening.  Your full powers awakened when you turned eighteen.  I'm sure you've noticed that there have always been a lot of ghosts and demons around you.  They are drawn to your power.

"If someone were to get their hands on you and get you under their control...it would be catastrophic.  Neither heaven nor hell would be safe.  That's why your mother and I sent you here with Zaebos and Olmna, to protect you.  Unfortunately, that didn't go as planned.

"That demon that attacked you all those years ago, he was after your power.  Even as a small child, your power was so great.  It tore us apart inside to find out that you stopped talking afterwords."

When he stopped talking I finally spoke, "You said that the demon that attacked me was after my power.  Why did he not want to hurt me when he was a ghost but try to kill me when she became a demon?" I was finally going to get the answers that I have wanted all this time.

"When he was a ghost, he still had his human heart.  However, when he became a demon, his last human characteristic was lost.  I'm not going to sugar-coat this for you, Claire, almost every demon wants power and will stop at nothing to get it.  No matter who or what gets in the way, they will do whatever it takes to get what they want."

Kumura finally spoke, "What exactly happened when you were little to make you stop talking?" he asked in a low voice.

Before I could answer, my father spoke, "I think you should take that conversation to Kumura's room so that the two of you can have some privacy.  Kumura, you need to tell her before it's too late and she finds out a different way."  My father's voice was like a warning when he spoke to Kumura.

"I'll tell her, sir," Kumura said, his voice serious as he held Lucifer's calculating gaze with his own.

We left the living room and walked upstairs to his bedroom.  Kumura opened the door and walked in after me.  Walking over to the bed I sat down and patted the spot next to me.

"Where do you want me to start?" I asked while propping my elbows on my knees and rubbing my eyes. 

I was tired emotionally and physically.  I had just found out that the people who were supposed to be my parents were a demon and banshee.  I was reunited with my real parents who just so happened to be the people in charge of hell.  To top it all off, I was thrown through a window and almost killed.

"Preferably from the beginning," he said, laying down and pulling me down next to him so that my head was on his chest.

"Just to warn you, it's not a pretty story."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote.  Comment.