Chapter Twenty Three

Claire's P.O.V.

"Well this day can't get any worse," I sighed.

"Trust me, I think it can."  I heard him mutter under his breath.

"How's that?" I asked, walking towards his house.

"There are some things that I need to explain to you and I don't want you to be afraid of me.  After we deal with that demon, I'll explain what's all going on; why we're mates, why Senri, Yuki, and I always disappear, everything.  I just don't want you to fear me."  His eyes held so many emotions, desperation, hope, pain, and love?

"Do you really love me?" I asked, stopping and turning to look him in the eye.

"Yes."  He held my gaze while he spoke, his eyes never once wavering.

"Will you ever hurt me intentionally?"

He took my hands in his and pressed them to his lips, "Never," he whispered.

"Then I have no reason to fear you.  I already have an idea that you're not human.  For that matter, I don't think I am either," my voice trailed off.

"We'll get into this latter, right now we need to take care of a few things."  He pulled me towards his house again.

When we got inside I felt bile rise iny throat at what I saw in front of me.  A spiny figure was tied to a chair in the kitchen.  Its skin was scaly, flaking off in spots.  His eyes, an unearthly yellow, were sunken back in its skull.  His lips were drawn back to show rows upon rows of rotten teeth while he hissed like a snake at Yuna and Kaname.

"That this was pretending to be my father?" I whispered once I found my voice.

"Yes, unfortunately," Kaname answered.

"So," the monster drawled, "The bitch can speak after all."  His voice was one that would haunt me.

"Why?  Why did you do this?"  Yuki asked.

"I was following orders to keep that bitch safe.  Where's Susan?" he asked.

"The banshee is dead."  Kumura's voice was flat and devoid of emotion as he spoke.

"You son of a bitch, I'll kill you!" he screamed.  His body contorted into something unrecognizable. 

His face elongated and his bones made sickening piping noises as they shifted.  The ropes that held him to the chair snapped and fell to the floor.  His eyes changed from yellow to blood red with black pupils.

Call me an idiot but when he lunged for Kumura I jumped in the way.  A black mist formed around me.  When Zaebos touched the mist he recoiled, hissing and howling in pain.  Every part of his skin that touched the mist was severely burned, the bone on his hands was scorched.

"You were warned Zaebos," a man's booming voice echoed around the room.

Zaebos started screaming in some bizarre language.  His eyes went wide as smoke started to rise from his skin.  The demon ran outside and screamed again.

We moved to the door to look out and saw the sky turn dark and the earth open up.  The demon disappeared and in his place stood a broad shoulder man.  He was looking down at the rip in the ground and shook his head.

"I told you to never harm her," I heard him whisper.

"Who are you?" I asked, stepping outside and standing in front of the others.

"I see that Gosuto has awakened your power.  It's time to come out, love."  As if on command, a tall woman with flowing black hair and pale skin appeared beside him.

"I'll say again, who are you?" I repeated.

The woman looked at me and gazed onto my eyes, "Who do you think I am, child?" she asked.

I was silent for a moment.  I studied them before having a lightbulb moment, "Mom?"

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote.  Comment.