Chapter Twenty-one

Claire's P.O.V.

I was on cloud nine for the rest of the week.  Kumura was so sweet to me, always keeping by my side and standing up for me.  Yuki and I got even closer to the point that we were almost like sisters, without all the fighting.

Everything was going great, confusing, but great.  There were times that Kumura, Senri, and Yuki would just disappear for a day or so and when I would ask them about it they would always either evade the question or give a really vague answer.  Today just happened to be one of those days.

"Where have you guys been?  Don't even try to change the subject, Kumura, or so help me I will reject you as my mate.  Answers, now," I said, walking up go Kumura.

"I'll tell you about the other times later, this time we went to pick up my grandmother and grandfather from the airport," he said, motioning to Senri who was helping a woman out of the backseat.

"Oh, well this is awkward," I mumbled as the woman approached me.  She was watching me like a hawk.  Like a hawk watches its prey.  Her grey eyes were cold and calculating, silently judging me.

"You must be Claire, Kumura has mentioned you," she said, extending her hand for me to shake.

"Yes, I'm Cliare, Mrs. Sakamaki."  I shook her hand and fought the urge to recoil.  It wasn't her appearance that made me want to pull away, she was beautiful, really.  It was her aura that made me uneasy.

She narrowed her eyes at me, "How did you know I was Kaname's mother and not Yuna's mother?" she asked me.

"Your eyes, Yuna doesn't have grey eyes."

"Kumura, may I have a word with you?"  Her question sounded more like a demand and Kumura could refuse his grandmother.

"Sure, I'll be right back, Claire," he said.

     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Kumura's P.O.V.

My grandmother lead me to the house and into the kitchen.  She was a woman of few words and those words were usually straight to the point.

"What is that girl?" Grandmother's voice was venomous.  She has always been able to tell when people are human, vampire, werewolf, demon possessed, or anything else.

"She's my mate," I said simply.

"That thing isn't your mate.  Whatever that thing is, it isn't human," she spat.

"Yes she is my mate, no she isn't human, however, you will respect her.  She is so much more powerful than even she knows," I said, trying to keep the beast within me contained.

"There is something dark about her, something demonic.  If you're not careful you will lose yourself to that evil.  Does she know what you are?" she asked.

"Not yet, soon though, she'll know soon.  I want to wait until I know she's ready."

"When do you think she'll be ready?" grandmother asked.

"I'll tell her at the end of next week on Friday."

"Do you know what she is?" she asked, sitting down at the table.

"Dad and I have a slight idea.  If I tell you then you can't tell anyone."  As crazy and bitchy as my grandmother was, I trusted her.  She was always there for me when I was little.

"I won't tell anyone," she swore.

"Do you know the story of Gosuto?" I asked.

"Yes, why?" she questioned, leaning back in the chair she was sitting on.

"Dad and I think that Claire is Gosuto's daughter." 

Realization filled her voice as she spoke, "If Claire is her daughter, then that means that Lucifer is..." her voice trailed off and her hand covered her mouth as fear crept into her eyes.

I sighed and put my head in my hands, "Yeah, Claire is the daughter of the devil and he has instructed me to keep her safe."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote.  Comment.