Chapter Eighteen

Kumura's P.O.V.

Claire insisted that I wait until Halloween night to see her dress.  She said that it was a surprise and the only clue she would give me was that it coordinated with my costume.  She made sure everyone's costumes were perfect before going upstairs to get ready.

She did Yuki's makeup and hair, she even helped Yuki make her dress.  After Yuki was ready, they both set to work on Senri's hair, makeup and costume.  Lets just say that they looked like they came right out of the movie.

Claire left me to get into my costume, Yuki claimed I didn't need any help with it.  The only face makeup I had on was a line of red blood going down the side of my mouth.  My fangs were real, however Claire thought that they were store bought.

"How long does it take to put a dress on?" I asked Yuki, assuming she would know.

"She has to do her hair and makeup too.  Now shut up and get your shoes on," she scolded.

I got my left shoe on with no problem.  The same could not be said for my right though.  I was hopping around the foyer, at the base of the stairs, trying to put the dumb thing on.  When I thought I finally got it, I ended up falling flat on my face.

I heard the laughs of Yuki and Senri.  There was also another laugh, one that I don't think I'll ever be able to forget...Claire's.

Yuki and Senri continued to laugh, not hearing the quiet, bubbly laugh of my mate.  I stood up and looked at the stairs.  I saw Claire doubled over laughing.

"The look on your face," she laughed, her voice vibrant and full of life, despite having not used it in so long. 

The smile on my face couldn't get any bigger.  She spoke. Twelve years of silence and she spoke.

Yuki and Senri stopped laughing after Claire spoke.  Claire looked around and saw everyone looking at her.  Her cheeks flushed a bright red.

"Hey guys," she said with a shy smile.

     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Claire's P.O.V.

I had just finished helping Senri and Yuki when I went upstairs to get ready.  My dress was still in the bag from when I got it from the store.  All I had to do was put it on, do my makeup and style my hair.

I slipped on the dress and put on my black leather high-healed boots.  Next I did a silver smokey eye, my face was pale enough that I didn't need any white face powder.  I put deep ruby red lipstick on my lips, The sharp contrast was perfect for my costume.  On the right side of my neck, I made it look like I was bitten by a vampire.

I suddenly started to think of Kumura's lips on my neck.  The image was so real that I could practically feel his teeth softly grazing my skin.  I shook my head, trying to rid the thought from my mind.

I set to work on my hair, hopping to distract myself from thinking of Kumura. I curled my hairs and then put part of it in a bun at the top of my head, at the back.  I put in pearled combs to keep it in place and let strands of hair fall around my shoulders.  When I was done I looked in the mirror and barely recognized myself.

"You look beautiful, child."

"Gosuto?" I asked.  I hadn't heard from her in months.

"Yes, it's me.  I think it's time for the song bird to sing.  Don't live your life in a cage, you are far to beautiful to stay hidden," she said.

"I don't know if I can talk again.  You know why I stopped talking, I don't think I can."  I felt like I was suffocating, I didn't know what to do.  If I didn't talk, then I would never know what it was like to laugh again.  But on the other hand, if I talked, then I would run the risk of getting hurt again.

"Life is made of choices.  If you don't take a risk here and there then you'll never know what it's like to actually live.  Let your heart lead you this time,chase your dreams of Kumura.  That boy loves you, don't let it go to waste," Gosuto said before she disappeared, leaving a void in my mind.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs.  I was close to the bottom when I saw Kumura hopping around on one foot like a jack rabbit before falling flat on his face.  I didn't even try to fight the laugh that left my lips.

I hadn't laughed in twelve years and, let me tell you, it felt so good.  I was doubled over laughing, "The look on your face," I gasped, holding my sides.  I looked around and saw everyone staring at me with shocked faces.  Kumura's face, though, was one of pure joy, "Hey guys."

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote.  Comment.