Chapter Twenty Two

Claire's P.O.V.

Kumura and his grandmother were still talking when I decided to go home.  My parents still had no idea that I could talk.  In fact, nobody at school knew either.

I walked up stairs and saw my bedroom door slightly ajar.  Normally I wouldn't think anything of it but I specifically remember closing the door.  The only people in the house besides myself was my mother and my father.

Being as quiet as possible, I tiptoed to the door and eased it open.  To say that I was shocked by what I saw is an understatement.  My room was a mess.  Clothes were strewn everywhere and the drawers of my chest and dresser were pulled out.  The real kicker was my mother, with her head shoved in my closet, pulling everything out.

I slammed the door and watched with satiscaction as my mother jumped and fell over, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I seethed.

She made no comment.  All she did was release an animalistic growl.  Her eyes were an off-white color and her usual light brown, silky hairs turned a greasy black.  She opened her mouth as if to speak and emitted a blood curdling scream that I will never forget. 

By this point I was already at the window, about to call for Kumura and Senri.  Without warning, the thing that I once called mother lunged at me.  I could hear the shatter of glass and the sharp impact of the ground as we fell.

The creature that pushed me out the window fell on top of me and was now looking at me with its head turned at an angle.  Her lips pulled back to reveal rows of sharp, uneven teeth. 

I tried to move away but couldn't.  So I did the only thing I could think of, I screamed, "Kumura!"

Apparently, the thing holding me down didn't like that.  I felt sharp teeth pierce through my skin before the weight was lifted off me.

     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

Kumura's P.O.V.

While I was talking with Gran, I heard a bone chilling scream.  Gran and I shot out of our seats and raced to the front door.  Senri, Yuki, Gran, and I opened the door, ready to run to Claire's when we saw Charles on the porch.

"I don't mean to be rude but we're in a hurry Mr. Mistlands," I said, walking past him.

I was halfway down the steps when I was grabbed by the back of the neck and thrown to the ground.  I turned and looked up to see what used to be Charles standing above me.  His eyes turned a sickly goldish-yellow and his skin became scaley.  He was Zaebos, a low level renegade demon from hell.

"Oh, look at that, you've fallen down," he said in an eery voice.

"What do you want from Claire?" I asked.

"You don't have the right to question me you filthy blood sucker!" he spat.

In the blink of an eye, he was on the ground beside me with Senri on top of him, "Go find Claire, I just heard glass breaking," he instructed.

I got up and ran to Claire's window.  I smelled the blood before I even got close enough to see what was on Claire.  There was a banshee straddling Claire with its head cocked to the side.

I managed to get the thing off before it was able to do any more damage.  It released another scream before I pulled the head off of it.  I looked at the head in my hands and saw the thick black blood oozing from it. Disgusted I threw it to the side and went to check on Claire.

"Are you okay?" I asked, "Can you move?"

"What the hell was that thing?" she whispered.

"That was a banshee."

She looked me right in the eyes, "That thing was my mother.  Please tell me that I'm not crazy and that I didn't just imagine everything," her voice was pleading.

"You're not crazy.  Now, can you move anything?" I asked.  I trying to assess what all was wrong but my head was clouded with the sent of her blood.

"Right now everything hurts but yeah, I can move.  Are you okay?  You just got paler." 

"I'm fine," I lied.  I had to get away from her before I did something that I would regret.  "Where are you bleeding from?"

"There just small scratches, I'll be fine.  Where is my dad?  If my mom turned into a banshee, what is my dad?" she asked.

"Your dad's is Zaebos, a low level demon from hell."

"Well this day can't get any worse," she sighed.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Vote.  Comment.