Interest

interest ĭn′trĭst

A state of curiosity or concern about or attention to something.

•••

I sat on a tree branch, a book about medicine in my lap. I had only just turned five, but I was still trying to read books with complicated words and phrases.

Father had dragged me over to Hiryuu palace. Mother wanted to spend time with me but, much to her dismay, she couldn't.

At once, I was struck with incoherence, an inconsistency to my thoughts, as I leaned against the tree trunk and let myself give in to the new world that I was about to enter...

"Who are you?" a voice asked. I slowly opened my eyes and turned my head. Surprisingly, a young boy was staring at me, only a few inches away from me.

"A person..." I murmured, slowly scooting away from the boy until I-

Until I fell off the tree and landed on one of the tree roots. I groaned in pain but quickly got back onto my feet.

"Are you good?" A familiar black-haired boy sighed. The blonde-haired boy (who had disturbed my sleep) climbed down and tossed me my book about medicine that I could not understand.

"I'm fine..." I said and began climbing the tree again.

"Oh! Tree climbing! Can Hak and I join you?" The blonde-haired boy asked excitedly. "

Hak. I think that he knows my name. Wasn't he an idiot? I knew who he was. He was the guy that ignored me and left me in the dark a year ago. Why was he here now?

I looked at him. "I was going to read." I didn't ask a single question. I simply answered questions, I was too shy to say anything.

"Read that book? I bet you can't even read a sentence!" Hak teased. I furrowed my eyebrows in response.

"Hak! We should climb this tree!" Blondie exclaimed. He looked at me. "I'm Soo-won and this is Hak! Who are you?"

I stared at the two boys. They seemed safe and pretty young, so I probably wouldn't be harmed or anything. "Himari..." I mumbled.

"What?" Soo-won questioned, wanting me to repeat what I said again.

"Himari..." I repeated, this time a little bit louder.

"Himari?" Hak said. "Weird name. I recognize it though."

"You lived in the same orphanage as me." I pointed at him. "You were the guy that a lot of the girls talked about. We were... friends..."

Hak's eyes widened. Soo-won stared at us, not understanding what we were saying.

"Yeah. We were. You're the pretty girl that was always reading the short books about myths and stuff like that." Hak said. "I'm sorry I left you, but we're together now."

"You don't sound like you mean it." I clenched my fists.

"I do mean it! You idiot..." Hak looked away. "I don't like saying stuff like this. These conversations are weird... can we just climb trees now?" Hak looked back at me, his eyes wide open.

I wanted to look away from him, but I knew that the moment that I did, I would lose.

So we stared at each other, our eyes drying out, until I blinked.

"Ha. You lose." Hak laughed quietly and ran towards a tree that was easy to climb. Soo-won and I joined him.

It was a little fun.