Prologue

|| edited ||

wait·ing /ˈwādiNG

the action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or until something else happens.

•••

There's this person who used to live in a dirty, beaten down orphanage with a young boy named Hak.

Hak used to think this person was beautiful until he realized she hated herself and the way she looked.

So one day, he left her in the dark with no candle nor lighter.

Himari. No one knows what the name means. It's definitely not a name that originated in Kohka. Perhaps the name originated in Sei, where the  Japanese katakana and hiragana can be identified.

My name is foreign and unknown to the people living in Kouka. It is an unusual word that cannot be pronounced.

The name, 'Himari' makes the tongue twist in all sorts of different directions, unfamiliar directions. The languages spoken in Kouka made the tongue move differently, in ways that could not be described.

I was on horseback for hours and hours, but when Hiryuu Palace finally came into view, I was relieved.

I was an unexpected guest, according to the king, but he immediately got a room ready for me. I can already imagine another perfect room. White walls and brand new tatami. Everything screamed 'perfect'. What did the word 'perfect' truly mean? How would you describe the word 'perfect'?

"Himari!" A voice behind me calls. I turn around only to see Princess Yona. I can tell just by the way she walks that she's insecure; her shoulders are hunched over as if hiding the treasure inside of her.  Her footsteps are light and timid as she slowly approaches, watching me through skittish wide eyes.  I can only imagine what might be going through her mind, thoughts like, what does she think of me?

Oh, I'm so ugly!  Does she like me?  Will I say the right thing?  I know those thoughts all too well.  I smile at her, hoping to lighten the burden she carries on herself.  Then something amazing happens, like a light turning on in a dark room, her eyes lighten and she smiles back.  Wow, I wonder, smiles really do have power.  They can reach places the sun can't and warm the very soul.

"Himari, its been a long time," Yona says quietly. She was nervous, I knew that. We haven't seen each other in five years. We're not the same innocent kids we were five years ago. "My hair is still unmanageable and annoying as always." Her hair is perfect.

"Yona-hime, your hair is beautiful. It looks like the sky at dawn." I smile. Yona looks at me in awe.

"Does it?" I nod. She smiles.

We stand in silence for a bit before Yona speaks.

"Oh! Have you seen Hak and Soo-won?" she asks, finally being a little more energetic. I remember this kind of energy. This was the energy she gave off each time she smiled when we were kids.

"No. I had no idea they were here." I reply. Today I'm happy, but I don't think anyone can tell. It's under the surface and mixed with some anxiety. I'm not used to the combination, it's truly odd. Happy takes me up and anxious brings me down, so in that combination, I'm simply focused on the task at hand. Perhaps it's like that for everyone starting something new, pleasure at gaining forward momentum, and fear of the change.

"I'm going to go look for them! Come with me!" Before I can answer she grabs my hand and pulls me along with her.

•••

There's this person who Hak's known for many years, who's smile was always perfect. He admired this person, who one day began to only give empty smiles. She always smiled with a fake smile of hers. She always thought that life would be easier that way. To be kind to others, compliment them while in reality, all she wanted to do was the opposite. But that would only make her life harder, which prevented her from doing so.