Meeting [Palace Arc Begins]

royalty / roi′əl-tē /

A person of royal rank or lineage

•••

I never wore a dress. Never.

Well, except at Port Awa.

Weddings meant dresses. Fancy clothes, like really fancy.

I wouldn't be able to wear a dark grey haori. That's the kind of haori you'd wear at a funeral.

The priests want women to wear red, white, and gold. Men have all the rights in the world.

Today will be the second-to-worse day of my life.

The generals will decide if I'm worthy of becoming queen. I don't want them to say 'yes.' What will my father think when he sees me?

I wait for my father at the gate, he's the first one to enter.

When he sees me, he rushes over and gives me a hug.

"Father, is mother doing alright?" I ask.

"Well, yes. More importantly, where have you been? You didn't come home the night after King Il's death!" My father yells, releasing me.

"I just traveled the country a bit," I reply. It was partly a lie. It was more searching than traveling, if those two words are even the tiniest bit different.

"You should've told us yourself! Mun-deok told us the news instead!" He yells. I laugh nervously and scratch the back of my head. "What are you even doing here?"

"Soo-won told me to come to the meeting." I lie again.

"He's a king now, address him formally." Geun-tae glares at me. I sigh in response.

I walk with my father to the room meetings are held in. We mingle a bit, but the majority of the walk is silent.

Father sits down, I just lean against one of the pillars.

Father was the first to arrive, then Soo-jin,
Joon-gi, and finally the new General, Tae-woo.

Soo-won steps into the huge room and clasps his hands together. "Right! Let's begin the meeting."

Father sighs at his bubbly attitude and
Tae-woo rolls his eyes.

"I heard rumors about Yang Keum-ji... apparently he was the cause of human trafficking. Although, he was killed by an anonymous woman." Soo-won starts. I smirk.

Jokes on you, I killed him. You're standing in front of a monster!

"Alright, thanks for the news about my tribe, but move onto the important information," Father says. Gang Soo-jin sighs and sips the matcha tea in front of him. "And why is she here?" Father points at me even though I'd answered his questions earlier. The other generals look at me with surprise.

"I have some important news..." Soo-won looks at me. "I have decided on who will become queen."

Joo-doh looks at me in confusion. Advisor
Kye-sook stares at me suspiciously, even though he was with us on the night Soo-won said he wanted to marry me.

The other generals gasp in surprise. Their king has decided on his heir!

"I've chosen Lee Himari of the Earth Tribe. Are there any objections?" He asks.

"So that's why she's here! I'm her father! You should ask me about it first!" Father yells, even though he's never treated me like a kid.

"Are there any objections?" Soo-won repeats, this time slowly. The room is silent.