Burning Hair

|| edited ||

fare·well
/ˌferˈwel/

used to express good wishes on parting.

•••

"Looks like you're properly guarding the gate today," Hak says and walks by Tae-woo. Hak promised to walk with me back to the Earth tribe, my hometown.

"Can't sleep without a friend to lean on." Tae-woo replies. Hak chuckles.

"No sleeping."

"Where are you going, Master Hak, Lady Himari?"

"We're leaving this place," I say. And begin walking out the gates.

"Oh? Have a safe trip." Tae-woo replies and closes his eyes. "Seriously?"

"So the next leader of the Wind tribe is you." Hak stops and looks at Tae-woo.

"No way! What a pain. Hold on, are you planning on leaving Miss Rina behind?"
Tae-woo asks.

"I thought about seeing her one last time but..." Hak trails off. "Take care of her, too."

"A princess with problems is too much of a burden," Tae-woo says.

Wait.

Then it hits me. "You knew?" I ask and turn around, only to see Tae-woo sleeping.

"Hak!" A voice calls. I sigh and Tae-woo opens his eyes. "I'm leaving here. Come with me!" she orders.

"Say what?" I ask.

"I'm going to leave here. If I stay, the capital of Fuuga will be drawn into disputes," she says.

"Go away. I've explained it with the elder." Hak orders. "Fuuga is safe now, and you're going to live here peacefully."

"I don't recall approving you to leave alone. Hak, you told me I can use you to survive."

"It's fine, Lady Himari is with me. I gave back the name, 'Son.' I'm no longer a General or your servant. I was just about to start a journey as a free man."

"Himari, you too?" Yona asks. I nod my head.

"I'm headed back to my hometown. My parents are probably worried." I say, using an excuse.

Hak and I begin walking away but Yona stands in front of us.

"Do you have money? If we leave together, I'll have to protect you going forward." Hak asks. "Or... are you going to be paying with your body?" He grabs Yona and asks.

"There's nothing I can give you," Yona replies.

Hak lets go and the two of us continue walking until Yona stops us again.

"I want you!" She grabs Hak's clothes and says. "Give yourself to me!"

Hak blushes. "Excuse me... what?" He sits on the floor. "Ah... crap. You're annoying... alright, you win princess."

"Hak!" Mun-deok aims a bow at Hak.

"Have you been there the whole time?!" I ask.

"Hearing you say all those insults to the princess..."

"Mun-deok!"

•••

"I feel like I'm letting another grandchild go..." Mun-deok says.

Yona smiles. "Mun-deok, please protect the Wind clan."

"Princess. If one day you fall into despair again,  and need help... the Wind clan will take your side no matter who we make enemies of."