Time

calm / kä(l)m /

not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions.

•••

I have always loved the wind, for it comes to me so boldly, touches my skin. In coldness, it rouses me to wakefulness, an alertness that lets me savor the moments in dryness and rain just the same.

In soft breezes, it is finer than silk, smoother than water. In the gales it sings through the trees, sending loose leaves on a dancing funfair ride, hypnotic, beautiful. In the summertime wind is cooling, allowing the warmth to gently enter muscle and bone while my skin feels so at ease with the world.

Today is almost still and I find myself in joyful anticipation, absorbing the bright colors of the new foliage and buds, taking a moment to watch a dragonfly pass by, it's back a brilliant electric blue.

The forest does not care for seconds or minutes, even hours are inconsequential. The smallest measure of time here is the cycle of daylight and darkness.

Even then the forest is more in tuned with the seasons: rebirth brought by the warmth of spring darkened foliage from summer's kiss, the onset of fall, and then the keen bite of winter. Here in the forest so little can happen in the time it takes for me to change from a child into a woman, to gain and lose so much.

Perhaps that is why I love to be here— it stabilizes the rapidity of my thoughts, grounds me in a place where the ticking of clocks is unregarded. A place where I can let go of my worries. Just me, the trees, and my crazy companions. That's all I needed, and that's all I would ever need.

I haven't seen the void in weeks, maybe a month or two. I was longing to see the emptiness and the Orange Dragon. Kija never realized that I was indeed a dragon. Perhaps he was doubting his senses again, only because we were so close to each other.

I didn't miss my homeland that much. It was nice not seeing the plain white walls and the beaten up tatami imported from Sei. Chishin Palace always smelled like fresh wood, but I didn't miss its scent that much.

"After we cross this bridge, Khai Empire is over that mountain." Yoon points at a dirty, worn down bridge. It looked like it would break if you took one step on it. "The suspension bridge is really old though."

"I found it while I was jumping around the area," Jae-ha says. "Back when the area beyond the mountain was Kouka territory, merchants and travelers used this suspension bridge, I assume. It hasn't been used in a long time so watch your step."

Yona takes one step forward but slips on some mud, causing her to fall backward. Luckily, Hak catches her before she can hit the floor.

"You're falling over before we even start crossing the bridge?" Hak teases.

I could've sworn I saw Yona's cheeks turn pink, she just continued walking before I could confirm.

"The planks are rotting. It looks like it's about to fall apart..." Kija mumbles.

"Now, if it's the girls or Yoon—" Jae-ha starts but Kija screams and falls through the bridge. Jae-ha catches him before he falls into the river though.

"If it's the girls or Yoon, I would save them if they fell. The rest of you guys will have to deal with yourselves, is what I was going to say." Jae-ha finishes.

"Are you alright, Kija?" I ask.

"Yes, my life flashed before my eyes like a merry-go-round. It was quite an enlightening experience." Kija sighs in relief.