Natural 当たり前

common / ˈkämən

occurring, found, or done often; prevalent.

•••

I always saw beautiful works of art and unique warriors in battle growing up.

I set high expectations for myself. I wanted to be just like the artists and soldiers. They were my idols.

But I was always stuck in the 'gap.'

I could never get it right. I could never be like them.

Why was that?

•••

I watched as Kan Tae-jun charged at his own soldiers.

He was once a general's son that I couldn't respect. He wanted to claim the throne, he wanted to marry Princess Yona when she was only nine. The princess refused.

So he tried again when she was ten.

And when she was eleven.

I wasn't with her, but I can only guess that he tried again when she turned twelve.

But now, he's different. He wasn't like before. Now, the headstrong boy who wanted to marry the princess was crying and risking his life for one girl.

One single girl that didn't care about her status anymore.

All I could do was furrow my eyebrows and stand next to the warm fire with thousands of questions on the flat of my tongue.

He probably won't see the princess again. He won't be able to capture or do whatever he wanted to do with the young girl. Yet he still made his way over to the soldiers and told them to turn around.

"They left." Hak mumbles. I turn my head to look at him. He watched the soldiers turn around walk away, Tae-jun walking in the back.

"Will that man really be alright?" Kija asks, running his slender fingers through his hair. Every few minutes, I'd catch him staring at me. I wouldn't be surprised if he knew who I was. Stupid Orange Dragon.

"Perhaps," Yona responds. I suppose, in the end, Tae-jun was fortunate that he could see the princess. "If he's absent-minded like the time be shot the signal flare."

"That seems like him." Yoon sighs. My eyes flicker around the sky. It was completely black, with a few specks of light dotted around the sky. There was no colorful sunset to admire anymore.

'When will you tell them? When will you use my dragon strength and show them my power? Your power!' The dragon asks.

"Never. Or at least, not until I need to." I reply. If I was standing directly next to the others, they'd hear me. Luckily, I was a few feet away from them.

Sometimes, I think about where I was a few days ago. About a month ago, I was at the palace. I was supposed to marry the king. But I didn't stay put. I couldn't stay put.

If Soo-won loved me, and Ik-soo thinks I love Soo-won, what does that mean? Does it even mean anything? Probably not. Romance isn't necessary. I shouldn't need it. I don't need it.

I have a feeling I was reported as 'dead,' or something like that in the records. Soo-won saw me 'commit suicide.' He saw it with his own two eyes.

So the next time we meet, how will we meet?

With silence? Or perhaps something else?

•••

Hak walks around Katan Village. He was bored out of his mind after guarding the village the other night.