Chapter 26 - Secret 1

Brenda's POV

I wake up tired from all the tears I cried last night. I hugged one of the pillows close to me, trying to get comfort from it. If I had known I would have taken Juanita up on her offer when she had asked to sleep next to me, but I didn't want her to see me so vulnerable.
Few minutes later, I hear a knock on the door and my eyes peel open.

"Brenda, sweetie, I'm sorry. I'm really sorry" It's Tunde

"Go away! Just leave me alone!" I yell.

"Please just open the door" he begs.

"Why? So you can hit me again?" I ask, sitting up on the bed.

"Come on nau! I already said I'm sorry, although I know that doesn't make up for what I did. Please honey, just open up, let's talk. I promise, I'll make it up to you."
Reluctantly, I walk towards the door and pull it open, after unlocking it. I stand there and stare at him with a bored expression.

"My love, I'm so sorry" he hugs me.

"Since when do you drink?" I ask, my face void of any expression as I crossed my arms, pushing him away and creating space between us.

"I don't. I honestly don't, it was only last night, I swear-"

"Oh?" I tilt my head. "But Juanita told me that this is not the first time."

He stiffens.

Good. I caught him in his lie.

He should know by now that lying to me is useless.
I'll always find out the truth.

"Is...is that what she told you?" He nervously asks.

"Yes. Is it true?"

"Is that all she told you?" He asks again.

"Yes, or is there more to the story?" I narrow my eyes at him. "Is there something you're keeping from me?

"No. Definitely not. I agree I came home drunk some time back, but that was it. I had a weekend outing with my colleagues" he explains and I nod.

"Then what about yesterday? What happened?"

"I wanted to get my head off work for a bit, I never intended to get that drunk. I'm sorry"

He wanted to get his head off work for a while?

With only alcohol? How am I not sure he had a girl with him.

I still have so many more questions to ask, but I decide to end it here.
Although, I don't believe his story, I'll just pretend to agree with him and hope he's saying the truth I don't want any further disagreement.

"Okay" I reply.

"Okay?" He asks, quizzically.

"Yes, okay. What do you want me to say again?" I shrug.

"I'm really sorry. I promise to make it up to you" he says as he hugs me again.

Hudson's POV

The test results will be out today, it feels like I've been waiting for it for forever.
Today, I'll  come to know the truth.
Knowing the truth is one thing and being sure of the truth is another. This result will clear whatever doubts I have.

"Mr Beecroft, here is the paternity test result" the doctor hands it over to me.
I quickly take it, but I don't open it just yet, I decided to wait till I get to my car.

Slowly but anxiously, I tear open the brown envelope.
I silently read the paper.

The alleged father is not excluded as the biological father of the tested child. Based on testing results obtained from analysis of the DNA loci listed, the probability of is 99.9998%...