Chapter 15 - The Biological Father

I tiredly walk into the house, trying to sneak upstairs, silently praying my mum isn't back yet or she is already in her room....all to no avail.

"Juanita." I freeze and stiffly turn to face her.

"Good evening mum" I smile nervously.

"Where have you been and who is that guy who dropped you"

"I was out with my friends. That was Melvin, Mummy"

"Which Melvin?" She arches a brow.

"Melvin Lawrence" I avoid the strong urge to roll my eyes. "His family came here for dinner the other day, remember?"

"Oh! I do. Is he your boyfriend now?" She walks into the living room, I behind her.

"Mummy, no!"

Don't you want him to be?

Can you just shut up?
I say to my inner voice.

"You're too young to have a boyfriend Juanita, I believe you know that right?" she crossed her arms, as she faces me.

"I know" I reply.

"Do you even know what time it is?" I look up at the huge wall clock on the wall of the living room.

7:15pm

"I--"

"Since when did you start coming home this late?" She crosses her arms and narrows her eyes at me.

"I'm sorry" I reply in a bored tone.

What a boring interrogation.

"You're sorry? Juanita you're just 16! You're too young to be out all by yourself!"

"I wasn't by myself. I was with my friends!" I retort

She sighs in defeat
"You know what, just go freshen up and have your dinner" I quickly nod and was about to walk out of the room when a thought came to my mind.

"Mummy?" I turn to face her.

"Yes?" She replies as she takes a seat on the plush couch.

"Where is my father?"

"He's not yet back from wor--"

"My biological father" I add.
She suddenly becomes quiet and I wait quietly for her reply.

"Well?" I cock my head. It is now my turn to cross my arms.

"Go freshen up and come back down for dinner" she stands up and begins to walk out, but of course, I follow her.

"Mummy I asked a question. Please answer me" I follow her up the stairs.

Silence.

"Mum!"

Silence.

"Mum, who is my biological father?"

"Tunde Lawal is your father! Stop asking irrelevant questions" she snaps.

"I'm not buying that! I am not blind Mum. I look nothing like him! I am biracial for Christ sake!"
She ignores me and continues walking to wherever she was walking to.

"Mum! please tell me!"

"What is it with you Juanita?! Why have you chosen to disturb my life this evening? Why are you asking me this now?" She yells

"I've always asked you but you never give me a reasonable answer!"

"Leave this matter Juanita! Please!" she replies, frustration clear in eyes.