Chapter 4 - Why me

"Yes" Florence replied, a stupid smirk on her thick lips.

"You agree that you--"

"I can treat you as I please" she snapped. "Now get your stuff and come with us" she twirled around and started walking away.

"No" I honestly don't know where that voice came from, but it sounded awfully like mine. I hadn't even taken a step forward.
Florence slowly turned around.
"What was that?" She narrowed her eyes.
I don't know where I gathered the courage from, but I did anyway.
"I. Said. No" I said through gritted teeth.
Suddenly, the three girls started laughing.

"Now you listen here and listen good" Tina grabbed my arm, squeezing it, making sure I get hurt. "If I were you, I would stop this foolish act of bravery, and do what I'm told. We are your seniors, you are meant to respect everything we tell you, so now just shut that little mouth of yours and come with us!" She warned, a murderous look flashed in her eyes.
In other to avoid any more trouble, I did as I was told. We got to an abandoned class, they had made their   territory and they pushed me inside.

"Please, I'm not feeling fine" I begged them.

"You should have thought of that before acting stubborn" Tamara scorned.

"Please, I'm sorry. Just let me go. I'm sorry"

"Sorry? For what exactly?" Tina asked in an annoyed tone.

"Well...well..well.." Florence walked round me, scanning me.  "Look who is begging" she chuckled. "Juanita! The fact that you're mulatto or whatever rubbish it is with you, doesn't mean we'll treat you better than other students--"
I shook my head violently
"I'm not asking to be treated better than others, I just--"

"How dare you??" I could see the anger in Florence's eyes.
"How dare you cut me off when I'm talking? You dey mad ni?"
("Are you crazy?")

I shook my head and mouthed a "sorry"
"Florence calm down" Tamara tried to calm her and I silently prayed she does.

"Calm down?" She gave me a slap on my left cheek. "Calm down?" Another on my right. "Didn't you see how this stupid girl talked to me?" She pushed my head, me sobbing my life away throughout.

"She's said she is sorry right? she didn't mean it" Tamara defended me.

"Are you trying to support her?" Tina bite back.

"No I'm not!" She raised her hands in surrender. "But--"

"Nothing. Just keep quiet" Florence glared at her friend.

Hours of torture passed and it was finally lunch break. Florence and Tina bombarded me with their load of books, bags and other unnecessary things.

Who carries books to eat?

"Go to the Cafeteria, reserve a table for us"

"Okay Seniors" I nodded and stumbled out with their belongings.
I finally got to the cafeteria, all eyes on the smallish figure with large glasses that covered most of her face, and a load of books and bags in her arms.

"Juanita!" I heard Sophie call.

"Hi Soph!" I breathed.

"Eh...where have you been...and why are you carrying all that?"

"I was asked to reserve a table for a group of seniors." I replied.

"Let me help you with those" she took some of The books from my arms.
It was then I scanned the whole cafeteria. It was full. There were no empty tables. I'm sure they did this on purpose just to punish me. They knew it was late, they just love being wicked.