Stolen Info (Clone Force 99 pt1)

Hello, my dear readers. I've returned. It's been a very hectic month-long hiatus for me, which is contradictory since it was supposed to be a chance for me to relax and recuperate. (More on endnotes)

I hope that some of you are still around. The last thing that I want is to lose your faith and interest. So it truly means a lot if you can send me a pm or post a comment to let me know you're here. Thank you, and enjoy the chapter.

You got to play with the cards you're dealt with

"Get the medics!" Steele shouted at Wolffe.

Wolffe ran off to do just that while Steele rushed into the interrogation room. Their prisoner, a male Trandoshan, was painfully writhing on the floor.

"Hey! Hey!" Steele knelt next to the Trandoshan and tried to force out whatever it was he swallowed.

But it was fruitless.

"In here!" Wolffe guided the medics into the room.

They immediately went up to the Trandoshan whose condition had worsened. They opened up their kits and got started on reviving him.

"We'll take over from here, sir! Don't worry!" One of the medics assured the two commanders.

Steele took another look at the now unconscious Trandoshan before leaving.

~ O O O ~

Night has fallen. Steele was in the meeting room building with Wolffe, Plo and Aliyah. They had to discuss today's event.

Wolffe started the talk. "He didn't make it."

He was talking about their Trandoshan prisoner. Everyone shook their heads in distraught while Wolffe kept speaking.

"He was our only lead, and he's dead."

"How did he kill himself?" Plo asked.

"Suicide pill," Steele answered.

"We failed to check him properly," Wolffe quickly apologized. "I'm sorry, sir."

Plo rubbed his forehead. "First of all, I don't blame you for what happened. Instead of lingering on the events of today, we should take it as a stepping stone. Our prisoner was willing to kill himself to avoid interrogation. That says a lot about the contents of the Separatists' datachip."

"But is sensitive Republic information really worth killing yourself for?" Aliyah questioned.

"It might be if it's something that could change the tide of this war," Steele pointed out.

"But if that's true. Then the Republic should be more willing to share what they know with us!" Wolffe crossed his arms. "Instead of making us go on a wild goose chase."

Everyone agreed with him. Plo especially.

"I hear you. But there's only so much we can pry before it starts resembling treason. For now, let's make do with our circumstances."

Wolffe looked like he was closing on stressville. "We've been at this for a week and a half. And so far, we have nothing, except for the Trandoshan who just killed himself today."

Steele nodded bitterly. Wolffe had just voiced all of his building frustrations over the past week.

Sensing the growing irritation in their commanders, Plo and Aliyah decided to cut their meeting short.

"We'll contact the Council again," Plo said. "You two take a rest, alright? Get some early sleep tonight."

"Thank you, general." Wolffe meant it.