Trial: Day One (Aftermath of Umbara pt3)

There will always be liars. Some good, some bad.

"Your Excellency, Senators." Senator Burtoni began her opening statement. "I am here with Adjutant General Wilhuff Tarkin, to prove that the accused, CT-5140, is without a doubt, a danger to the Republic. Yes, Jedi Master and General, Pong Krell, was indeed a traitor. But his life was not CT-5140's to take! This clone stepped over the line! As the representatives of the People, we will show that he's an unstable, unreliable, and unnecessary addition to the Grand Army of the Republic! And needs to be sentenced appropriately!"

Anakin glared at the Kaminoan Senator—the chief prosecutor—just as Senator Organa stood up to say his opening statement.

"Your Excellency, Senators. I and Jedi General Anakin Skywalker, are the representatives of the accused, CT-5140, more commonly known as Dogma. Today, we intend to prove that he is in the right for killing his interim General Pong Krell. And we will do that by showing you, through the words of several witnesses, that Krell—not Dogma—is the true danger to the Republic! And that his death is justified."

Looking around, Anakin made sure that the prosecution team and everyone else's eyes were glued on him and Senator Organa. And they were.

Palpatine spoke. "The prosecution may call its first witness."

~∞Direct-examination of prosecution witness...∞~

"My name is Colonel Rastor, I was in charge of a recon team which included the accused, CT-5140, from awhile back. I remember that he was quite an unusual clone. He'd always peg me for our next motives. Overall, being inappropriately curious—"

"—I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misinterpreting orders." Dogma explained himself.

"Silence!" Palpatine commanded. "You will speak when called upon."

Anakin made a mental note to cross-examine the hell out of this Colonel Rastor guy.

~∞Direct-examination of defense witness...∞~

"I was there when our platoon engaged the 212th's!" Tup said into the mic. "And so was Dogma. Until that event, Dogma never once disobeyed Krell. Even when many of us were against him. But after that, that's when he realized Krell's true colours! And did what he had to do!"

"Objection!" Senator Burtoni stood up. "Witness is likely biased due to being in the same unit as the accused!"

"That doesn't erase the fact Krell orchestrated the friendly-fire!" Tup argued.

They started a spat that Anakin joined in on. Eventually, Palpatine called for order.

"Order in the court! Order in the court!"

~∞Direct-examination of prosecution witness...∞~

"Can you tell the court what CT-5140 did in response to your order?" Senator Burtoni asked.

"He tried to go against it." The Head of the Senate guard answered.

"And why, in your honest opinion, do you think he did that?"

"Because I don't issue orders like General Skywalker."

All the Senators took note of that. Anakin didn't like it. He could see where this was going.

~∞Cross-examination of prosecution witness...∞~

"It is without question, that the accused, CT-5140, began having a hard time listening to me after that incident. It seems to me that he's easily wavered in terms of loyalty." Representative Kleine finished saying.