Talks of Scandal (Final pt3)

It's in the most difficult situations people show who they really are

It was mid-afternoon when Anakin and Plo were on-trek back to the Temple after leaving the Senate. Anakin, for nearly the entire duration of the walk, attempted to plead with Plo Koon to let him in on assistance.

"Master Plo, please. Let me speak with the Chancellor, I can get you a one-on-one with Aliyah, I know I can!"

For what seemed to be the 100th time, Plo declined the offer. "Don't trouble yourself for my sake, Skywalker. She is my responsibility, not yours."

"But it's not right that the rest of the Council are going to think poorly of her now!" Anakin was not willing to give up. "Don't you want to do something?"

"I'll handle the backlash." Plo coolly and straightforwardly turned his head to Anakin, "What I'd like to know is why you care so much on my behalf. Surely it's not just wanting a repeat with Ahsoka? Or is there something more?"

It was at that moment, Anakin caught himself. Why did he care? Why was he projecting so much of himself on Master Plo in light of these recent events? Oh right...he knew what it was like having attachment issues first-hand. Perhaps before Aliyah even developed hers. But if he wasn't careful, he'd end up in the same boat as she is right now—if not worse—depending on what the Council decides to do with his status as The Chosen One.

From the silence, Plo could see he's made Anakin uncomfortable and decided to move on.

"It's fine." He turned forward again. "I appreciate your support. It's refreshing to know I'm not completely alone in these twisted turn of events."

The two reach the Temple grounds but were deterred after seeing scatters of Holonet press-reporters at the gates. They divert to entry from the hangar end of the Temple. But to their surprise upon reaching there, they are greeted with a number of Masters from the Council. And none of them seemed too pleased.

"Master Plo," Mace Windu greeted with arms crossed, "Please refrain in the future from ever pulling a stunt like that again. What you did left us with no choice, but to forcefully enact the meeting with the Chancellor to save your grace."

Anakin's jaw metaphorically hit the ground. "You call going to the defence of your former apprentice a disgraceful act?"

"No," Master Oppo Rancisis interjected. "What's truly disgraceful is the kind of 'thing' this former apprentice is claimed to have done."

"And what 'thing' is that?" Anakin demanded.

"Attachment of all things!"

Plo hardened his voice and entered the fray. "I will not believe any of that until I hear it directly from Aliyah herself."

"That is a noble act, Master," said Master Eeth Koth, sounding much less accusing than his previous speaker. "But the Chancellor said we can't see her until he's located her missing clone captain. And even then he may pull back on his word."

"Then why are you already making a final decision?" Anakin asked.

"We're not making any final decision any time soon." Obi-Wan made clear the warning tone in his voice, to address the Masters who were clearly against Aliyah's defence. "We will collect the necessary evidence and piece together as much of the story as possible before doling out anything. Is that indisputable with everyone here?"

Mace glanced unamusedly at his auburn-bearded colleague. "If what the Chancellor said is true, then we will have to dole out punishment for Korentayer. There are no exceptions."