The day he lost his sight (Intro pt11)

Some things can never be undone or forgiven

"Why does he wear those goggles all the time?" Rex asked Cody.

"Not familiar with the missing commander of the 304th, are you?" Cody retorted.

Rex shook his head. "Fought with him once during a short siege on Naboo. But other than that, never mingled with him much."

"He's not much of a talker, but can you blame him? His general is that terrifying Besalisk." Cody shuddered. "Well anyway, from what I heard. He lost most of his sight because of an injury on his first mission."

"Must be one hell of an injury," Rex tsked.

Cody agreed. "Yeah. It's a miracle General Krell still keeps him around as his commander. And that he always forces him onto the front lines."

Rex couldn't imagine what it's like fighting in the front while being so reliant on a piece of headgear.

Similar to how the Jedi generals describe their lightsabers: 'this weapon is my life.' Steele thinks the same of his goggles: 'this equipment is my life.'

"The damage to Commander Steele's eyes is permanent?"

Cody nodded. "Unfortunately, yes."

~ O O O ~

The 304th just arrived on Raxus. They had help from several Republic fleets and starfighters in getting past the planet's orbital garrison.

Once they got into the atmosphere, the Separatists lost track of them. Allowing them to land without a fight.

Krell stood about as the clones set up their large headquarters base. This will be their home for the next couple of days here on Raxus.

"This is the biggest mission you've received since your last commander!" Krell bellowed. "So prove to me you all learned from his mistakes!"

"Yes, sir."

The clones answered half-heartedly. They were still shaken from Krell's beating Kal the other day. They feared their general more than they did when Steele was still around.

Krell pulled Kal aside. "CT-7701. Will I be expecting nothing less than absolute obedience from you?"

Slowly nodding, Kal said with a lump in his throat. "Of course, general."

"Good. Glad to see you're finally learning from your predecessor. We don't want a repeat of what happened on the first mission, do we?"

Kal averted the Besalisk's glare. "Yes, general."

Krell wondered why he didn't try reminding these clones of the incident earlier. It was very effective in getting them to listen to him.

As long as they remembered what happened with Steele that day. They'll never try to cross him again. Out of fear that they'll meet the same fate.

~ O O O ~

"Have you seen this clone? Have you seen this clone?"

Those repeated lines from the police droids were beginning to drive Aliyah nuts. She desperately wanted to talk to the Council.

The Senate and Lama Su already made their thoughts clear. They wanted Krell removed as much as she did. But the Council still needs to make the final decision as a whole.

And with Plo currently away on assignment and Shaak Ti still stuck at Kamino, there's no way they'll listen to just her. She's but a recently knighted Jedi with no clone division.