Trial: Day Two (Aftermath of Umbara pt4)

And of course, there's the ultimate liar

Senator Organa was walking Steele to Dogma's cell. He went over the rules of the meeting one more time.

"Remember, you're not a witness for either side."

"Got it."

"You're only there to talk about personal feelings pertaining to the late general."

"Got it."

"And. Whatever words you two exchange in there can't be said to anyone, save for me or General Skywalker."

"Got it."

They were in front of the large opaque cell door. The guards unlocked it for them and Steele walked inside.

Senator Organa said one final reminder, "You have 3 minutes, commander. Make it count."

The door closed. And a large timer displayed on the wall. Counting down from 3 minutes.

"Commander Steele...?" A tired Dogma sat on the edge of his prison bed. "Come to see me again?"

"Mmhm. I wanted to apologize for how blunt I was with you back on Kamino." Steele took out a chair and sat a comfortable distance away.

Dogma continued to look at the wall. "You were pretty soft. Those prosecutors yesterday were blunt."

"So are their assistants. Two of them tried to get me to testify against you last night. But anyway, let's not talk about the trial."

"Then what can we talk about? The late General Krell?"

"Yes, actually." Steele carefully moved his chair closer. Dogma slowly looked towards him. "I—"

"—I did what I had to." Dogma interrupted. "Captain Rex was just standing there. Krell was taunting him needlessly. And I threw consequence to the wind."

Steele flashbacked to the moment he was about to kill Krell. Also throwing consequence to the wind. "I guess we're similar in that way when it comes to Krell."

"I'd think so. You're his old commander after all. It's shocking you weren't the one who killed him."

"I almost did." Steele scooted even closer. "But that chance slipped from me. And fell into your hands." He took a deep breath. "I really hate that it fell into your hands."

Dogma swallowed hard. "I knew it. You think I stole your kill."

"It's a petty reason to hate you, I know." Steele sighed. "I wanted to kill him because I was fed up with how he treated me and my men. You killed him because he was a traitor."

"He made me kill my brothers! He sabotaged the entire mission from the start! He—he killed clones without a second thought! And the entire time, I blindly followed him!" Dogma hung his head. "I killed him because he was a traitor...and because I hated myself for obeying him."

Steele stood up. He looked at the timer. 2 minutes left. But he may be able to wrap this up beforehand.

"We all obeyed him once in our lives. But now we don't have to anymore. Thanks to you, Dogma."

But Dogma didn't feel gratified. "I'm going to die."

"Not yet, soldier. Not yet."

~ O O O ~

The trial of Dogma continued at the exact time as it did the day before. Everyone sat in the same places as before.

And Palpatine commenced the trial, as before.