21

"Liam?"

"Hm?"

"Do you really believe me about your council?"

He glanced over at me from the paperwork he had been reading.

"We're going back to Germany, aren't we?"

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you actually believe me."

"I'm willing to look into it, Anna. You have to understand that there's no hard evidence. The only thing I have to go on is your word."

"Shouldn't that be enough?"

A look of frustration crossed his eyes. "I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm just saying I need more proof before I go on a witch hunt."

That was understandable, I guess. I wanted him to fully trust me the way I fully trusted him, but I knew he was skeptical. I didn't like that he was skeptical of me, but there wasn't much I could do about it.

"I guess."

"Look, Anna, most of these council members have been with us for centuries. They were trusted by my parents and I've grown up around them."

"They are trying to make me seem insane so you'll leave me," I emphasized.

He set his papers down and turned his full attention to me.

"If you're fine and nothing happened, why did you say all that crap on the plane?"

"I don't know."

"Because something was wrong, Anna."

"Not with me. Something was happening to me."

"Yes, I know, but how are we supposed to know whether it was due to the council or just you being sick?"

"I'm not sick, Liam."

"We don't know that for sure."

"I know it for sure."

"Anna-"

"You don't want to believe me, fine. I'll prove it myself."

I stood and started to storm back to the bedroom, but Liam grabbed my wrist.

"I'm not going to live the rest of eternity by avoiding arguments with you. If we are going to last, we can't keep walking away from disagreements."

I was caught off guard by his words. He didn't usually talk to me that way, but I didn't hate it. He was right; I had to stop walking away from the issue just because it was uncomfortable.

"What do you want me to say? I tried to approach this, but you think I'm crazy."

"I don't think you're crazy. I think something happened to you, but I don't know how to explain it."

"I told you what happened to me."

"You told me what you think happened to you. I'm sorry, Anna, but I need to investigate it before I start throwing around accusations."

"Do you think I'm still crazy?"

"I told you I didn't."

"Are you afraid of me?"

He scoffed, "No."

"You are! You're afraid I'll hurt someone else!"

"That's ridiculous."

"No it's not."

Light turbulence knocked the plane, causing me to lose my balance for a moment. I steadied myself on the chair and looked at Liam again.