Chapter Four

Carmen

By 7am I was on the expressway on my way to the office. Physically I was ready, mentally I was getting there.

I'm usually in the background of the daily madness. The other people fight to be in the spotlight, some would actually kill for it. I'm more comfortable doing the behind the scenes work. I don't really want to be remembered for anything. I can die and nobody would notice.

My jeans were passing as dress pants and my blouse strangely matched my grey sneakers. I didn't have to dress up for sitting behind a desk but Stacy wants us to dress professionally anyway. I'm close enough.

After stopping for my boss's coffee I walked into the fancy building and straight to her office. She nodded and I quickly left and picked up my schedule from the front desk.
The receptionist Raychell handed me the paper and went back to whatever she was doing.

I walked passed most of the chipper colleagues to get to my office, which is a safe distance from the front desk. Some glanced at me but most of them carried on as if they didn't. I don't matter here.

I'm considered the lower class. Kind of like a high school, everything is based off popularity. I don't wear $600 shoes, let celebrity hair stylist comb my hair, have a fancy small dog or buy $5,000 purses. Hell I've never owned a purse and wouldn't even know where to get one.

I live comfortably and all of those things wouldn't affect the way I feel about life. Because of that I'm okay with being the "office peasant" as Maxine calls me. She doesn't say it when I'm around but everyone one here gossips so it's not hard to find things out.

"Carmennn!" I heard Maxine's annoying sing songy voice. I turned around and she stopped and frowned at my clothes.

The forced smile reappeared. "I wanted to thank you for handling my client a couple of weeks ago. I had so much to do that day." She boasted.

That's not what I heard.

I nodded and offered a thumbs up before I walked to my office.

A while later we were called in for a meeting

Maxine Robin

I watched Carmen walk away with a slight smile. She's such a misfit. I looked for her after my impromptu trip to Spain but my assistant told me that she was caught in an altercation at a club. Telling me she caught big foot was more believable than that. Someone like Carmen being invited to a party at a club of all places?

She's the highest level of a nobody.

Carmen joined our team about a year ago, oddly dressed in what she's wearing today. She was an intern that soon became a full time stylist.

I don't know who would take fashion advice from someone who dressed like a twelve year old boy. But still she's one of Mrs. London's top 10 go tos for a job.

Most of her notoriety comes from her last name. Gia Carangi was like the first supermodel, and she happened to be Carmen's mother. I guess stranger things have happened.

"Ms. Robin you have a meeting in an hour." I nodded and looked at Lauri my assistant.

" I nodded and looked at Lauri my assistant

Lauri Clay

She keeps me informed whenever I'm gone. She also deals with that ignorant bitch Trey is with. I hate that she has taken my spot in his life but she's just a socialite and a bullshit actress. She'll be gone soon.

I looked over Lauri's shoulder and saw her tweeting.
"LauriC: Guess who's back @NikkiLondon 😇"

I squinted, she could be talking about me as well as Carmen. She quickly locked her phone ans smiled. I smiled back and rolled my eyes.

Like Nicole she can be replaced too.

Fiona Cook

After seeing Lauri's tweet I called Carmen. When she confirmed it I headed to the office. I picked up ny schedule and looked it over while I caught up with Raychell. When the front door opened we both turned around. I ssid bye and walked out.

I found Carmen coloring at her desk. She jumped when I hugged her but settled down when she noticed it was me.

"Are you okay?"
"Yes.." She raised an eyebrow and I shrugged. I was about to leave when I saw the bruise peeking out from under her shirt. Then I saw a few more.

Was this from Nicole?

"I'll be right back." Carmen looked up with an eyebrow raised but nodded. I quickly walked down the hall to where Nicole was standing with her manager.

"Nicole!" She turned around and I punched her with all I had.

From there things only got worse.

___________
Maxine Robin- Paula Patton
Lauri Clay- Lauren Conrad