Chapter Two

Carmen

The bare words fell from my lips almost automatically. I had tried so hard to limit our interaction all day.

Tremaine Neverson, one of the many people who made my childhood hell. A boy who found amusement in mercilessly harassing me as a kid. His torture ended when I was shipped away from Virginia but the things he said haunted me. The things he did turned the few dreams I had into nightmares. He haunted me. The experiences with him of all people left me in a mental state far worse than where I started, and that says a lot. He and his friends were so unrelenting. There would be days when I was too dried out to cry or too tired to care.

I remember the stories and journal entries written by my mother and I’d dream of being like her. The way she carried herself, her confidence, her ‘not taking shit from anyone’ attitude but I wasn’t built that way.

I wasn’t built at all, just random pieces carelessly thrown together.

My face completely blank but my eyes reflecting the hurt from my tortured soul. I wanted him to see just how dead he was to me and why.

He stared at me almost remorsefully. “Look, I’m sorry I-“

“Don’t. It’s fine.” I shook my head and softened my features.

“How have you been?”

“Okay, I suppose. How have you been?” My attention drifted to my feet.

“I’ve been great..” He trailed off scratching in head, I could tell he was still staring at me.

Silence found its way in between us and it fueled the awkwardness. I didn’t dare look up at him, but the loud screeching voice I heard caught my attention.

“Trey! Where are you? I’m ready to go!” The girl I ran into earlier yelled walking in the direction of his dressing room. He sighed loudly and readjusted his hat. “I um.. Can we talk sometime? I’m really J-“

“I’m tired and I’m ready to go. Why you talkin’ to this bitch?” The girl frowned up at me. “Watch your damn mouth, Nicole.” Tremaine said sternly and she sucked her teeth. She looked me up and down before walking away.

Tremaine shook his head.” I better go before she sets my car on fire of some shit.’ He chuckled but his face was serious. I didn’t have much to say about any of it so I nodded.

“See you around.” He smiled and I barely lifted one side of my mouth in an attempt at a small smile. He left and I looked around for what I was supposed to be doing.

 He left and I looked around for what I was supposed to be doing

Fiona Cook

Fiona walked towards me smiling. “Hey!” I stared at her before slowly raising an eyebrow. “You know what you should do? Come to my sound check.” I guess she expected me to be excited about that.