Chapter 32: Planning an Escape

I woke up with a dry mouth and a pain in my stomach from hunger. I looked up at Gideon, who was eating a complete breakfast. Where did he get all this stuff? My stomach grumbled in protest as Gideon stuffed a bite of waffle in his mouth.

"Oh, you're up," Gideon said. He took a large bite of toast.

I gitted my teeth. "Ugh, c-could you spare something?" I asked. "You'll starve us if you don't give us anything to eat and we need water to survive."

He tossed me a bacon strip, which landed in my lap. My hands where free, more or less, so it only took me two or three tries to grasp the bacon. I got it easily in my mouth and could've sighed with relief. It didn't help my dry throat, but at least I wasn't going to starve. I always wondered what people felt like in books when they where faced with imposible situations like this. I found out it wasn't as exiting as it seemed.

I glanced at Dipper. "Want me to get you a peice of bacon too?" I asked him.

Dipper shook his head. "I'm not hungry," he said. "Besides, I don't eat pig meat."

I looked down at the ground, feeling guilty. "Oh, sorry."

"No, its fine," Dipper said. "I just wish I knew where Mabel was."

"She'll be fine," I assured him. "Bill won't hurt her. He needs you and to hold on to you, he needs Mabel. He's not dumb. He understands how to manipulate people."

"But what if he changed his plan?" Dipper asked. "What if he decided he only needed one of us?"

I could hear the panic in his voice. I wasn't sure how to comfort him. "I-I don't know," I said.

We sat in silence for a while, feeling the day getting warmer as the sun came up. If I strained my ears, I could hear faint noises from Gravity Falls. I glanced at Gideon. He was relaxing in his cot with his sunglasses on. "I have a plan to get out of this," I whispered to Dipper.

"What?" Dipper asked, finally seeming intrested in something.

"What if we could get the attention of the people of Gravity Falls? We could yell and maybe someone could come and save us."

Dipper shrugged. "Do you really think that that could work?" Dipper asked. "Would anyone come?"

"I don't know," I said. "But I think its worth a shot."

"Okay," Dipper said. "But we should wait for midday where most people will be outside and there'll be tourists everywhere."

"We could get the police's attention", I suggested.

"Eh," Dipper said. "I don't think thr Gravity Falls cops will be much help in our situation."

"Why?" I asked.

"Uh," Dipper said. "There not the best at there job. The only serious thing they did was attemp to take Mabel and me to a government facillity for finding the 8th and a half presedent of the United States in peanut britle-"

"Wait, what?" I asked.

"Ah, nevermind," Dipper said. "In other words, there pretty useless. You know what would be the best idea? Finding a sharp rock or something to break these ropes."

"I should've grabbed something when I went to the bathroom," I said.

"There's an idea," Dipper said. "I could try-"

There was a laugh. "You two talk really loud for trying to be secretive."

Dipper and I froze. Gideon was standing in between us. I winced. Oops.

"The demon gave me strict orders not to harm you two for what's coming next, but we wouldn't have to tell him, right?"

His bracelet glowed a bright orange and both Dipper and me both cried out in pain. For me at least, it felt like all the life was being squezed out of me. I was being pulled against the rope, but it wouldn't come loose. Gideon was just playing with us.

When I was pretty sure that I might black out again, the pain eased and I was aware of my surroundings. I took a shuttering breath and opened my eyes. Dipper was the same way. "Hopefully that reminds you of what I'm capible of," Gideon said. "Don't forget it." Then he walked off to do who knows what.

"Kayla, you okay?" Dipper asked.

"Fine," I said. "Its not the first time that bracelet's been used on me." Then I dropped my voice to a whisper, suddenly getting an idea. "Dipper."

"Yes?" Dipper asked. "You have that look on you're face that says you have a plan."

I nodded. "I do. We have to get that magic bracelet from him."