Chapter 23: Missing Parents

We drove into town. I was sitting in the backseat with Mabel and Dipper. Soos's car was a mess! I mean, I really didn't mind, but my mom would freak over this.

The car ride to town took a little over twenty minutes. I couldn't stop biting my nails, like I always did when I had to anticipate something this big. What would Bill do to them? Where they already in danger? Thousands of questions swirled around in my brain but they all disappeared when we pulled into town. Soos pulled into our house. I quickly got out of the car and ran to the house. There was a note on the door. It read: Dear Short Stack. I warned you. Now, are you smart enough to find your parents? I'll enjoy watching you get out of this one. Even with the help of the twins, I doubt this will be easy. Have fun, Bill. P. S. Does your mom faint a lot? Or is that something new to you?

I took the note off the door with trembling hands. I tugged on the door, but it was locked. I wiped away irritating tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I took a deep breath and walked back over to Soos's truck. "W-we're too late," I said. "They're gone."

"Don't worry, Kayla," Mabel said. "We'll find them. We always can get out of these things. We even went into Stan's mind to save him!"

I just nodded. "Where do you think he'd keep them?"

"Well," Dipper said. "Remember the thing about his hideout? Maybe he's there."

"Tiny problem," I pointed out. "We have no clue where that is. we could look for years and not find it!"

"It's probably best we get out of town," Soos said. "You dudes can do some more research at the library and Wendy and I should get back to work."

We agreed and got out of the truck. Soos and Wendy gave us a little money in case we needed anything and they where off. "So where's the library?" I asked.

"It's not too far away," Dipper said. "We'll get there in no time."

We began the walk. Everyone was going about there normal business. I saw some tourists going to a restaurant called Greases Dinner. A few kids ran together, pushing each other as they went. I smiled despite our current situation. Everything almost felt normal, then I remembered what we where doing. I grimaced.

A blond girl was walking towards us. She had one a smirk on her face. "Well well, well," she said. "If it isn't the Pine's twins and there new little friend! Let me guess, she's your girlfriend, Dipper?"

My face reddened. "No. I'm his friend."

"Really?" She asked. "You're hanging out with these two losers?"

"There probably cooler then you."

"Ahem," she said. "I am Pacifica Northwest. I'm the most popular girl in town. And my advice is you should get some new friends. Whenever these dweebs are around, weird things happen. Trust me, sweetie." Then she flipped her hair and walked on.

Mabel had her arms crossed. "Come on, " I said. "We have work to do."

~

We got to the library. We walked in and Dipper dragged us over to the history section. "You two can look through the books and I'll see if I can get anything from the computers."

I sat down by the book shelf and looked through the books. I found one called The History of Gravity Falls. I decided to start there. I flipped to the table of contents and looked for something useful. Nothing looked too promising, but I flipped to the chapter that read Must See Sights.

I flipped through the chapter, not finding anything useful. I glanced at Mabel. She was flipping through a book about cats. I decided I wouldn't bother her. She'd had a pretty rough last few days. Besides, I could tell she wanted to get some rest from all this mystery stuff.

I grabbed another book off the shelf and flipped through that one too. I suddenly realised how tired I was. I blinked the tiredness away and rubbed my eyes. We had a job to do.

I began reading again, but I couldn't process anything I was reading. All the words swam in front of my eyes. My eyelids got heavy, but before I fully fell asleep, I jolted out of it. This happened about five times before Dipper looked back. "Have you two found any-" he stopped. I rubbed my eyes and looked at him.

"No," I said.

"You two must be exhausted!" Dipper said. "I mean, I was pretty much asleep that whole time, but you guys walked up the mountain and everything. You know what, I'll keep looking. You two can get some rest on the beanbag chairs over there."

"No, no," I said. "I'm fine." I opened the book but still nothing made sense! It was frustrating.

Mabel put a hand on my shoulder. "You should. You look like a zombie. And trust me, I know what one looks like."

I finally gave up and followed Mabel to the chairs. They where comfortable. I grabbed a book, just in case we got in trouble for sleeping. I'd say the book put me to sleep.

As soon as my eyes closed, I was drifting into a nonsense dream.