Chapter 17: Soos Saves The Day

I let out a little yelp when I woke up. I bolted straight out of bed, sprawling to the floor. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes. Oh my gosh! My parents where in trouble! What have I gotten myself into?!

Mabel rushed over to me. "What's wrong, Kayla?" She asked.

"I-I had this dream w-with Bill in it a-and he said-he said something about my parents! I think they're in trouble!" I stuttered out.

Mabel's eyes widened. "We have to stop Bill, now!" She jumped up and tried to shake Dipper awake. "Come on, Dipper!" She said. "We need you! Wake up!"

Dipper didn't stir. Mabel shook him again. "Dipper?"

We exchanged worried glances. I could see he was breathing, but what was wrong with him? His skin was a little paler then usual. I felt his forehead. "He's burning up!" I said.

There was a laugh from somewhere in the room. We both jumped. That laugh was unmistakably Bill's. The whole room turned grey, like in my dream. Bill came through the ceiling. He was still in full color. "You know, it took a while, both lil' Pine Tree finally cracked. I always knew he was the weakest link."

"What did you do to my brother, you evil triangle!' Mabel yelled.

"Relax, Shooting Star," Bill said. "It was just bcause I possesed him for too long, then he got tossed around and put in an ice prison. Who knows. He might be okay in the morning, but he doesn't have much time."

I glanced at Dipper. "What do you need us to do?" I asked.

"How's 'bout you hand over the journal," Bill said.

My throat went dry. Duh! Why hadn't I seen this coming? Stupid, stupid, stupid!

"So?" Bill asked. "Do we have a deal?"

Mabel balled up her fists. "Never! We'll stop you Bill, then we'll force you to heal Dipper!"

Bill laughed. "Have fun with that." And with that, he was gone.

We sat in silence for a while. "Um, we should try to keep Dipper's fever down," I suggested. Mabel nodded. I ran downstairs and grabbed a cloth. Then I but cool water on it. I ran upstairs and put it on Dipper's forehead. Mabel had pulled two blankets over him. She had to be exausted, bit she didn't say anything. I nudged her. "You should get some rest. I'll watch him for a while."

Mable looked like she wanted to protest, but her eyes started to droop and her exaustion got the best of her. She went over to her bed and in a minute, she was fast asleep.

I breathed a sigh of relif. I thought she would collapse. She'd been up way longer then I had. I smiled slightly at her. I turned bacl to Dipper. He was breathing normally, but was too pale. I winced. The poor guy.

I opened one of his eyes. I wasn't sure why, but I just wanted to check. I jumped to find it a glowing yellow. "Bill," I said under my breath, not wanting to wake Mabel. "Get out."

There was a triangular shadow that floated on the wall, out from Dipper. I didn't relise how tense Dipper was, until he finally relaxed. "How's it going, Short Stack?" Bill asked me, returning to his normal yellow.

"Stay out of Dipper!" I said.

"Make me," Bill said. "You know the one way to stop me, but it will never work. You kids aren't smart enough without ol' Pinetree here."

"Says who?" I asked.

"Uh, me," Bill said. "Trust me, your cause is useless. Give up the journal or someone's gonna get hurt." Bill pointed at Dipper. Dipper started to shake terribly.

"Stop it!" I yelled. Bill closed his hand into a fist. Dipper stopped shaking, but it felt like a hand was closing in around my throat. I clawed at the invisible force with little success. Bill laughed. "Let's see you get out of this one. With you out of the way, it'll be easy getting rid of Shooting Star and Pinetree."

I gasped for air, but didn't get any. Black spots apeared in my vision. "I-I'll show you... the...book," I gasped out.

"I'm not stupid," Bill said. "Not like that kid, Gideon, who fell for your tricks!"

I glanced at Mabel. She was still fast asleep. Oh come on! Why did I tell her to take a nap!?

I felt lightheaded and the edge of my vision turned black. I'd past out once from dehydration and that was pretty terrifying. That was nothing compared to this. I knew if I blacked out, I'd never wake up again."

The door opened behind me. Bill was so shocked, he let me go. I gasped for breath and turned. There was my rescuer standing in the doorway with a broom in his hands, Soos.