Chapter 43: Escape

When I could finally think clearly, I knew it was too late. The sun was higher in the sky. It was probably noon by now.

I rubbed my head. So Bill had gone through my memories and taken the secret of me finding out about Stan's weird room behind the vending machine. Now everyone would find out about it and Mabel and Dipper would have to go home and I'd be thrown out to live on my own or worse!

There was a groan from the other side of the room. Dipper was just gaining concouisness. "Dipper?"

"W-where am I?" Dipper asked. "I had this horrible dream that Bill took over Mabel and then forced me to burn the journal."

"Um, Dipper. That wasn't a dream." I pointed to the small pile of ash on the floor. Dipper looked at. Then smiled. Smiled? Why was he smiling? I thwn knew he cracked. Then he started to laugh. Oh he's gone, I thought. This isn't good.

"Uh, Dipper? You know that was the thing that held all the secrets of Gravity Falls? Without it, you'll never find the author."

Dipper was still laughing. "No,no!" He said, taking a deep breath. "You don't understand. I didn't burn the journal."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Dipper? Are you okay? The ashes of that journal are right there."

"No there not," Dipper said.

I blinked. "Um, Dipper? Did you hit you're head a little harder then I thought?"

Dipper shook his head with a smile. "I didn't burn the journal."

I blinked at him again. "Dipper-"

He cut me off. "I didn't burn the journal. I burned my replica."

I paused, not sure if I heard him right. "Replica?"

"You really think I'd burn the journal that easily?"

I shrugged. "Your sister's life was on the line."

"I highly doubt that Bill would kill off Mabel that easily. It would have to be something much bigger then the journal. If anything, if I resisted, she would've plunged that knife into my heart or slit my throat."

"And you're the weak one," I said.

"Hey!"

"No!" I said. "That's not what I meant. I mean, I really think Bill's the weakest link, not you."

Dipper shrugged. "So how do we get out of these?" He asked, holding up his hands.

"Hmm," I looked around. "I've picked the lock to my diary a few times with a hairpin."

"Wait. Why'd you pick your own lock?" Dipper asked.

"I lost the key," I admitted. I reached in a drawer from the beside table to try and find something I can use to pick a lock.

It took me a minute, but my hand finally closed around something. "What the-?" I took out a... grapling hook?

"Um, what's this?" I asked Dipper holding it up.

"Its Mabel's," Dipper said. "Gruncle Stan left us pick out one thing from the shop our first couple of days here, and she picked that."

I looked down at it. "Why?"

Dipper shrugged. "It was smart. She saved both our lives with it." His voice died. "And now Bill has her," he said quietly to the ground.

I opened my mouth to try and comfort him, but I couldn't find the words. So I just shut up about it. I looked down at the grapling hook. How would this help us escape? I doubted this would help us pick a lock. I set the grapling hook aside for now. I reached my hand back into the drawer.

My hand finally closed around what felt like a barret of some sort. I pulled it out and found a hair pin with a heart on the end. Perfect.

I found the keyhole on the handcuffs. The hair pin fit in, but it was a little too thin to just unlock it. I moved it around a little. Still nothing. I shook it a little harder. It didn't unlock. I closed my eyes and counted to ten so I wouldn't totally lose it. I let out a breath and tried again.

"Any luck?" Dipper asked.

"I don't know," I said.

Silence. Then, "Any other ideas?"

"Just a minute," I said. "I think I've...got it!" The lock clicked and I was free. I smiled. "I'll be right over to free you."

I stood up from my bed. There was still a slight hammering in my head, but it was at least bearable. I didn't relise I'd paused until I caught Dipper looking at me, concerned. "What?" I asked.

"You're holding your head," he said. I dropped my hand. "What happened when I got knocked out?"

"Oh, well, Bill returned my memories," I said.

"Really?" Dipper asked. "Why? What'd he do afterwards?"

I knelt down to unlock his hands. I noticed how dark the bruise on his eye looked and how bad the cut was. "I don't know," I admited. "When he retured my memories, they all kinda came in all at once and I don't really remeber what happened."

"It must've been pretty painful," Dipper said. "You where out probably only a little shorter then I was."

I moved the hair pin around the keyhole and shrugged. "I think you took a hit too."

Dipper girminced. "Yeah..."

"You okay?" I asked.

He shrugged. "I guess it hurts less now."

The lock finally opened. The handcuffs opened and finally Dipper was freed. I gave him a hand and helped him up. He winced, but didn't say anything. We where about to finally get out of here when I remembered the grapling hook. "Oh, just a minute." I grabbed the grapling hook and held it up. "This might be useful."

Dipper smiled at me. "Let's get Mabel back."

A/N
Hey!
Kinda a more relaxing chapter from the last one
There'll probably be more like the one before soon
And I'm getting close to the end (like 10 chapters or so)
Ok, the newest episode of Gravity Falls
Gah!
What!
That was
Oh that was like the best!
Mini freak out!!!
*slowly calms self down*
Ok
Ok.
I'm okay
More chapters soon!