The Light

"Mei, Sifra gave me a gift, look! It's a necklace!"

"She did..? It's a beautiful necklace. In a shape of a...pigeon?"

"Yep! Isn't it cute? She said that the pigeons represents love!"

"That's nice of her."

"I love you, Mei."

"I love you too, Jiayi."

________________________________________________________________________________

Jiayi would do anything to protect her beloved.

Even at the cost of her life.

She knew it was a selfish wish, considering that she's becoming a mother soon, but she cannot bear to see Koumei harmed in any way.

Jiayi promised to take care of him after all. She promised to cook for him, live with him, and bare children for him. Just like how Koumei swore to protect her, be a good father and live together until death comes their way.

How quickly do promises break?

Jiayi did not think but acted.

She was always the one getting protected, and now she realized how much it hurts to protect others at her own expense.

She closed her eyes shut, and hear her beloved scream her name.

Jiayi felt guilty for bringing her child with her.

Then, she was airborne.

She felt the air on her skin and her hair whipped into her face. She felt weightless and felt another person's arms around her. She did not dare to open her eyes, she did not want to know if she reached heaven or hell.

Jiayi refused to open her eyes to see she died.

.

.

"Owl."

.

.

Huh?

.

.

"Jiayi!"

Jiayi snapped open her eyes and saw herself in Hawk's arms.

Hawk put her onto the ground and she saw his earrings shown brightly. Before she could thank him, she looked back at Koumei, who rushed towards her in a frantic manner. He knelt down to her level and put a hand on her shoulder.

"Jiayi! Are you hurt? Why did you do something that reckless? What if you-" Jiayi cut him off with a quick kiss and ignored her trembling figure.

She almost left Koumei without a word.

Tears rolled down her face as she pulled Koumei into a heartfelt hug. The other let her cry in his chest as he patted her in a comforting manner. He also kept an eye out for angels, but he did not have to.

"Sahaq daght alhawa'."

The Fanalis kicked the angels coming their way and defended them.

"Go, Mei. Hawk can't handle all of them along."

"I can't leave you undefended! I'll stay with you."

"Mei. You can't protect me and fight at the same time! I'll just be a burden for you!"

"Owl, touch necklace." The couple snapped their heads to Hawk, who met their gaze with his usual blank one.

"Owl, touch necklace." He repeated, and then, he rushed off again to fight against the angels.