Prologue

Once upon a time, there were four sacred beasts that roamed the world.

The Azure Dragon. Deemed as the most powerful being in the world. His domain was in the air. People either fear or admire them for their power or status. The Dragon is thought to be just, and benevolent. It brings forth wealth, and fortune to those who serve under him.

The White Tiger. Deemed as the fastest hunter and predator on land. His domain was all of the lands. People see the Tiger as the God of War, a person of battles and blood. The Tiger was a protector and defender of his kind and domain.

The Black Tortoise. Deemed as the most intelligent and wise of the four beasts. Independent and strong on its own. People often misunderstood the Tortoise despite it bearing the burdens of his family and the world.

The Vermillion Bird was the beast with the most freedom. It brings forth good luck and symbolizes peace and prosperity.

The Vermillion Bird was different from the other beasts. It travels to different domains and experiences the world with its wings. Often, it meets the other sacred beasts on her travels.

It often clashes with the Azure Dragon, as both of them soar into the skies. The Vermillion Bird often converses with the Dragon and was at its mercy. The Dragon allows the Bird to leave as long as the Bird returns to visit.

Sometimes, the Vermillion Bird meets the fast White Tiger. The Tiger does not hesitate to catch the Bird and defend it from danger. They are able to converse freely as the Bird was able to fly away when it needed.

Rarely does the Bird meet the Black Tortoise and often finds the Tortoise in random but unfavourable moments. They converse and share their knowledge, one from a traveller, and one from the ancient texts.

The Vermillion Bird never stops as it desires freedom above all. It becomes weary and the first to notice a threat in the world.

Such is why, the Bird never stays with any of the other sacred beasts, for it knew the dangers that lurk behind each domain.

The Vermillion Bird does not fear death, for it fears the loss of its wings.

It would rather trade its life than lose its wings.