The Prince and The Fanalis

"What should we do big sister? You lost your stuff! I didn't think he would betray us after what you did for him! I really thought he was a good person-"

"Rankan. Hawk is a good boy."

"But he almost kidnapped me and stole your stuff!"

"That's why I'm planning to go get it back."

"But what if it's too dangerous!? Besides, Hawk will fight against us-"

"Rankan, Hawk is a good boy. He was just...manipulated and influence in a bad way."

"Big sister...can you take me with you? I...I want to see Hawk again, I want to help you get your stuff back!"

"Rankan...alright. Then, you should know how to defend yourself. I'll help you. This way, if we do fight those horrible people, you can protect yourself. I can't allow you to get hurt."

________________________________________________________________________________

"Stance. Concentrate. Strike."

Rankan was exhausted. This was the first time someone pushed him to the limits and tested his swordsmanship to this extent. Before, his mother or teacher would stop before he got hurt. Misuki pushed him to be his best, but still gave him rest when he needed it.

In some ways, Rankan liked it this way. He could actually improve his swordsmanship and learn how to properly fight. But no one told him it was this hard.

"You're talented with a sword, Rankan. I think I know why you're struggling now." Misuki patted his back and looked at him.

"You're afraid of hurting your opponent."

Rankan wanted to refute, but after a moment of thought, he lowered his head. He was afraid of drawing blood. It was true, he would always stop before hitting his opponent, giving his enemy time to attack, thus leading to his loss.

"Rankan...why are you afraid?"

"I...I don't want to see my teacher, or people I know getting hurt because of me." Rankan admitted before he covered his face with his hand. He couldn't land a strike on anyone because he was afraid of hurting them.

"I see." Misuki sat down beside him and handed him breakfast. She trained him for a few hours in the morning after they decided to find Hawk again.

"Big sister...don't you think I'm pathetic? I can't even hurt my enemy...and I let them win. I remember that I have a match tomorrow against the son of a noble family. I have...never won against any of my opponents. I let them win." Rankan hung his head in shame. He remembered how close he was, how he finally was able to put a scratch on him, but on the very last moment, he held back.

Visions of blood scarred him.

"No."

Rankan looked sideways to see the woman chew on her bread. 

"Pathetic people let their opponent win without trying. You tried your best, listening to you, I think you truly wanted to get over this fear." Misuki handed him water and gave him a stern look.

"But I want to let you know something. If you give up just because you are afraid of honing your skills to protect the people you love, then you are pathetic." Misuki pulled him up and handed him his sword.

"Rankan, being a pacifist is a good thing, but you have to understand not everyone is the same as you. I don't care how good and talented with a sword, but if you are afraid of hurting them,  you won't win, you won't be able to save your people in times of need. It's cruel but...the world isn't always kind. This world won't spoil you like your family. That's why you need to protect them so you don't lose them."