Weeds - Chapter Forty

"Creamsicles are the grossest thing to happen to the world." I said as Elliott un wrapped his strawberry flavored dairy treat. 

"No they're not."  

"They're frozen whipped cream with a liquid candy coating." 

Elliott ran his hand through  his hair , tossing it up, "Riley you could make a coconut grow hair."  

"What?"  

I could make a coconut grow hair? 

"It’s a metaphor," He paused to take a lick of his creamsicle, "It means you're so persistent and stubborn you could make a coconut grow, which in a literal sense you cant." 

I popped a dib into my mouth and bit it, letting the cold envelope my teeth. 

I ran my hand on the wooden bench I was seated on, "Ow!" I lifted my hand to my face and squeezed the pained finger, a piece of wood was sticking out of the center of my left index finger. "Oh god, oh god, oh god." 

I felt as though a chunk of my flesh was being ripped out from the excruciating pain emitting from my finger, I did not have a high pain tolerance. 

I could feel tears beginning to well into my eyes and I bit harshly into my cheek,  

don’t cry 

don’t cry 

crying is for the weak 

Elliott was suddenly in front of me and he was reaching out to hold my hand , I gave it to him and he analyzed the situation.  

"Its bad, your going to need surgery probably." 

"Oh god!" I wailed letting a tear out, I could picture the head line, Girl dies from splinter. 

"Its out." Elliot said as he squeezed the rest of the remaining blood off my finger, he wiped my finger  on the towel around his neck. When he brought it back to his face I stared at him, he slowly brought my finger up to his lips and gave it a quick peck, "A kiss for health." 

I continued to stare at my finger even after he returned my hand to my lap, damn finger was lucky. 

"Anyways, I was thinking we could go out to this great little seafood place about ten minuets from here, the reviews were great but I don’t really like sea food but I know you like it so we can go, Id really like to go actually or we could stay here and order in some pizza from or we could go to the closest pizza place and get the pizza and bring it back, however you want to do it." Elliott said as I continued to eat my dibs, my injured finger had its on dib to cool it down. 

"Pizza sounds great."  

"Cool, want to drive there, or order?" 

"We can walk right? Our legs are in great shape." Mainly yours, I didn’t say. 

"Well were pretty far from any actual civilization, wanna drive into town and then walk to a pizza place?" Elliott finished up his creamsicle which had mainly melted onto the wooden pic nick table. 

When we were both done, Elliott took my empty tub of dibs and his own wrapper, I watched him go over to a an empty plastic Evian bottle which was lying on the floor , picking it up he headed back over to the garbage and throwing out all the waste. 

"Why'd you do that?" I asked while I approached him. 

"Do what?"  

"Throw out the garbage that wasn’t yours." 

"Its kind of messed up to not take care of the planet since it takes care of us."  

That was true, I had never really seen it that way, the planet gave us air and water but we took that for granted and instead destructed it.