Weeds - Chapter Seven

Vote

Comment

Fan

-

You know the sound of absolute silence?  

It sounds like nothingness, almost like everything's dead, like the earth stopped spinning. It feels like someone pressed pause on a your life, but you're the only one who keeps playing. 

On the last Wednesday of August I felt absolute silence.  

I was sitting on the grass picking at it, Elliott wasn't with me as he had left to go to a coffee shop.  

The birds weren't chirping, no wind, no crickets. Just the sound of nothing. 

"Sorry I didn't come last Wednesday." I breathed out, "I was busy, and I know that's not an excuse but a lots happened. This new guy Elliott, Kirks son is in town... I'm not sure why but he is here and Cole Dawson's back too. Do you remember him? You met him once when I was like seven. I'm not sure if I should be dying of happiness to see him, or if I should hate him. I want to hate him, but I don't." 

I was responded with silence, I dug my hands into the soil feeling the cool dirt surround my fingers. There was a small gust of wind that blew a leaf from a tree into my lap.  

"Emma got an A on her sophomore level history essay, that better than what I got. Emma also likes this band called 'One Direction', I'm not sure how she ended up with the music taste she has but I let her be...most of the time. Logan is really just the same mess he's always been, I feel bad for him sometimes I don't think he fully understands what happened yet but I think he wrapping it around his head." 

The silence had been filled by my voice but besides that, it was still hollow. There was a small glow in the horizon of the sun and the sky was clearing. 

I breathed in, "And Bridget, she's so stuck in her world she can't get out. She's a lot like you actually, she parties hard and forgets about the world. I found a joint in her room the other day, I didn't say anything but I still took it and threw it out." 

I dug my fingers out from the dirt whipping them on my jeans. "I know you would have done the same thing, Bridget has this idea that you'd probably smoke with her, but I know you wouldn't." 

I stood up from the ground rubbing my arms, there was a small cool breeze. I said my good byes and walked away. 

When I got back onto the main street I went to the coffee shop I knew Elliott had walked into. The Stinson Brew. 

When I pulled the door open I was greeted by the strong scent of pumpkin frappucinos and over priced coffee. I looked around the packed coffee shop trying to find the black haired boy. He was sitting in a booth at the very back of the room. He was reading a news paper as two girls occupied the seat in front of him.  

I wondered who they were. 

I walked up to the booth, Elliott lowered the paper from his face and I nodded towards the door. He stood up from the booth nodding politely at the girls, I recognized them as the Watts twins.  

Bailey and Kelsey both semi smiled at me and I returned the gesture, when we walked out I put my hands in my jean pockets. I stepped over the cracks on the side walk, until reaching the car. I unlocked the Jeep hopping in. I started the engine and we were on our way back.

"What do you mean, in what world is apple juice better than orange juice?" I scoffed shaking my head, I gripped the wheel turning to face him.  

He had a grin on his face his tone incredulous, "How couldn't I?"