Weeds - Chapter Sixteen

Vote

Comment

Fan

-

//

When I surfaced from the gooey water I heaved in a breath of air. There was a mass of kids gathered on the bridge pointing and laughing.

I scanned through the crowd to find West but I couldn't see him anywhere. I sighed beginning to trudge through the water, not bothering to help the brat who pushed us in.

"Riley, over here!"

I looked in the opposite direction, noticing West was on the side of the island reaching over towards me. He looked flustered, I walked over to his side, keeping my arms at my side since the waters was blowing up my dress, at least I wore waterproof mascara.

I grabbed a hold of West arm and he helped me up.

He was as red as a tomatoes, "I'm so sorry Riley! Are you okay?"

I nod, "I'm good."

"I have a towel in the car, I'll go get it."

I nodded taking off my shoes and walking over to the picnic benches. I could see West jogging over to his Jeep opening up the trunk rummaging through, he grabbed a yellow towel , he slammed the door shut and ran back wrapping it around me, "Thanks."

"Do you want something to eat? There's a shack over there," He said pointing somewhere behind me, "I could go get us something."

In honesty I wasn't very hungry, I was just wet and tired. No sexual innuendo intended. I nodded at him anyway smiling, "Sure."

He smiled back before walking to where ever it was he was going. I close my eyes, I finally had a date with the West Rodriguez and I was screwing it up , royally.

I rake a hand through my already frizzing hair, I pulled out the pin that was holding my hair together and began wounding one of my many elastics on my wrist around my hair.

I began tapping my fingers on the wood of the bench, this wouldn't be happening to Bridget.

When West came back he had two Styrofoam boxes placed over each other and a cardboard cup tray carrying two Styrofoam cups.

He placed the tray down followed by the cups, he gave me one of each. I thanked him opening the box, there was a salad .

I hate salad.

His box contained a burger and fries, oh how I wanted his box instead .

"Why did you get me a salad?" I asked.

He smiled, "Aren't you bay girls supposed to be all vegetable?" He laughed

I scrunched my eye brows together, I understand where he would come up with this but I think he knew from the time we got greasy pizza that I didn't care.

I jabbed my salad, forcing a carrot into my mouth.

I took a sip of my drink instantly feeling my mouth go dry, all traces of saliva vanishing.

"What is this?" I croaked.

"Pear smoothie."

"I'm allergic to pear!" I said urgently, "I need water, now."

I tried taking a breath of air but the air wouldn't go down, it was as if someone had shoved a plug down my throat and my attempts to breath only made the plug sink further into me. Choking me.

I looked around frantically , West muttered something under his breath I couldn't quite catch, and got up from his seat quickly, he ran over to the nearest picnic table where a few kids were huddled around and he snatched a water bottle right out of one of the kids hands. He passed it to me not giving the kids a second look, I gulped it down in seconds.