Chapter 21

7:37 am here in Cali. Enjoy my morning update. I'm of to school. woo hoo. -.- 

************************************* 

Chapter 21

Ellie's POV

Meg drove me to school like always. They were awkward and long but no one else could drive me. Sometimes she had her headphones in, and sometimes she took phone calls while I was in the car so she wouldn't have to talk to me. I kinda just played on my phone.

Today was different.

I knew Meg kept looking at me. I caught her in the act. Finally she let out a deep sigh. "Hey, Ellie," it'd sounded so weird hearing her voice. I hadn't talked to her in at least 2 weeks. I looked at her through the driver's mirror in the backseat.

"I'm sorry." She said. "I'm tired of being stubborn so I'm just going to apologize." She loosened her grip on the steering wheel. "I'm sorry for walking out on you when you were little. I wasn't thinking. I was scared. I was nervous. I was selfish. I didn't think it'd hurt you that much. I'm sorry for being so overprotective and on the edge all the time." She looked like she wanted to cry, but she didn't. I wondered how long she'd been holding in her tears.

Holding in her pain.

"I was just trying to look out for you. It's just an instinct ever since, well you know." And I did know. I understood. She shrugged a bit and stared straight ahead as the car moved forward. There was that misty look in her eye, like Louis always said. Like she was lost in a sad memory or a sad feeling.

Maybe just lost completely.

"Just wanted to say sorry. I don't like you hanging out with Luke, but-" she paused. "if you want to, you can."

I bit my lip before I began.. "Niall told me he poisoned me. Everyone did. So I'm sorry I didn't believe you. You were right." I mumbled, looking down at my fingers. If this wasn't such a serious apology, Meg would've laughed and yelled, 'TOLD YOU SO!'

But she didn't, which I was thankful for.

"I trust you, Meg. If you don't want me hanging out with him, I won't." I sniffed a bit, feeling the tears coming. "I miss us. And I'm sorry I was so mean to you and-" I pursed my lips until I flung my arms over the drivers seat, trying to hug Meg as best as I could. "I-I'm so sorry."

"Whoa! Lemme pull over first!" She shrieked. My hug was making it hard for her to drive. She quickly swerved off to the side of the road. As soon as she pulled over she turned off the car, got out, and opened up my door. I rushed out and we both hugged each other on the sidewalk. "I'm sorry, sweetie." She mumbled into my ear as we hugged each other for the longest time. I didn't try to squirm out or groan, but fell into her welcoming arms.

"I'm sorry. You're not a monster. I was the monster. I should've listened."

"It's all right now, sweetie. It's okay." She pulled away and I could see her red eyes. She gave me a little forced smile and then kissed my head. "I don't want you to be late, so come on, sis."

I smiled, seeing as she called me 'sis' again. Things would get better now.

* * * *

I was wrong.

"Please get away from me." I said, grabbing my backpack and rushing away from my locker. Luke kept following me. He kept saying he didn't do anything to me. His voice seemed so convincing but I resisted as much as I could, using every fiber in my body.

"What lies did Meg tell you now?" He said to me and I froze, jaw dropping slightly. "Liam got you in on that crap too?" I opened it and then closed it. I couldn't believe him. It was like he was brainwashing me with his little lies. Not anymore. I spun on my heels and walked right up to Luke. He messed with the wrong girl. He messed with the wrong family.