67. ARE YOU PRANKING ME?

| CHAPTER SIXTY-SEVEN |

ARE YOU PRANKING ME?

CASSIOPEIA HESITANTLY PUSHED OPEN THE door to the Astronomy Tower. Her expression softened when she spotted Remus' back facing her as he stood by the balcony. He must've heard the door as he glanced over his shoulder, his eyes widening ever so slightly when he noticed the Slytherin.

"Is it okay if I come in?" Cass' voice was soft as she looked into Remus' eyes. 

He smiled warmly at her, nodding his head, "Of course it is," He told her, watching as she closed the door behind herself and entered the room further, her steps slow.

When she reached the balcony, she didn't say anything as silence consumed them for several minutes. She kind of preferred the silence, if things were quiet it meant that he wasn't breaking up with her. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a crumpled packet of cigarettes, noticing she only had two left, she placed one in her mouth before offering the last one to Remus, who declined it politely.

"I thought you'd stopped," He commented, his statement wasn't malicious, simply curious as he watched her light the stick up and take a deep inhale. 

Cassiopeia shrugged, keeping her eyes on the ground below, "Only do it when I'm stressed," She confessed. 

Remus bit his lip as he suddenly felt guilt bubbling in his stomach, "I--"

"Do--"

They both looked at one another, softly chuckling.

"You go first," Remus nodded, a reassuring smile on his face.

Cassiopeia sighed and tore her piercing blue eyes away from him, not wanting to look at his expression when she asked him the question that's been plaguing her mind, "Do you want to break up?"

If she had been looking at him, she would've seen the complete shock on his face. His dark eyes widened, his mouth slightly agape as he looked taken aback before his eyes turned sad. He hated keeping a secret from her and the fact that she assumed it to be that he knew he couldn't hold it in any longer.

"No," He finally said after what felt like hours for the black haired girl. She finally looked back at him, hope filling her heart. She watched as he began to fumble around in his pockets, "I love you more than anything, Cass," He told her, glancing up at her and showing the raw emotions in his eyes. He finally stopped searching his pockets but kept his hands hidden from view, "If anything...I want the opposite of that?"

Cassiopeia raised an eyebrow as she stumped out the butt of her unfinished cigarette, not wanting it anymore, "You want us to double date?" 

Remus chuckled but shook his head, some of his hair flopped over his left eye and instinctively Cass reached out to put it back into place before retracting her hand.

"I didn't want to do this like this," He confessed nervously as Cassiopeia felt the anxiety kicking in once again, "I didn't exactly have it all planned out.." He added with a small chuckle, "But I know I didn't want it to be this. I wanted it to be perfect, like you."

"What are you talking about, Remus?" Cass asked, trying not to let the worry show in her voice.

Remus smiled at her softly before he suddenly knelt down besides her, on one knee. He could've sworn he had never seen her eyes so wide as her mouth began to open and close like a fish.

"A-Are you doing wh-what I think you're doing?" She asked, the shock clearly present in her soft voice.

Remus nodded, fighting the wide grin that was threatening to spread across his face, "I love you, Cassiopeia Black. More than you could ever know. I know we're young but there's a war coming and--and I can't bear the thought of losing you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you - if you'll have me, of course," He added with a nervous chuckle, "I want to grow old with you. So..." He pulled his hand out to reveal a small velvet box as Cass let out a choked sob, "Cassiopeia Black, will you marry me?"

Cassiopeia felt as if the world had just paused. In that moment there was simply the two of them. Her standing upright, her hand to her mouth as her eyes filled with tears, and Remus, kneeling on one knee with an open box in his hand, a small glistening ring sitting in the middle of it, his heart beating loudly with anticipation. 

"I know the ring isn't much, but--"

"Yes!"

Now it was Remus' turn to look shocked, "W-What?"

Cassiopeia let a giggle slip past her lips. Her body was finally able to move and so she knelt down in front of him, her eyes glistening with happy tears, "Yes, Remus, I will marry you," She told him, her pearly white teeth on full display. 

"Wait, really?" The sandy-brown haired boy asked, "You're not pranking me?"

Cassiopeia shook her head, "Of course I'm not pranking you. Wait, are you pranking me?"

"What? No!"

"Then yes, I will marry you Remus Lupin," Cassiopeia said, trying her best not to let her voice quiver. 

Their expressions mirrored one others perfectly. Both of them with the widest smiles on their faces and happy tears swimming in their eyes. This certainly wasn't how Remus imagined himself proposing to the love of his life, but truth be told, in his eyes it was much better. They didn't need a candle lit dinner or rose petals covering the ground, they just needed to be there together, their raw emotions on full display. 

His hands shook as he slid the ring onto Cass' finger, their grins never once wavering even in the slightest. As soon as the ring was on, the black haired girl threw her arms around Remus' neck, almost knocking him to the ground due to how unprepared he was, but as soon as he regained his balance, he was quick to wrap his arms around her waist, keeping her as close to his body as he physically could.

"I love you, Remus Lupin."

"I love you, Cassiopeia Black."