20. THAT'S HOW I KNOW YOU'RE NOT A MONSTER

| CHAPTER TWENTY |

THAT'S HOW I KNOW YOU'RE NOT A MONSTER.

THE TWO BEST FRIENDS MISSED the feast in the Great Hall, so whilst most other students returned back to their dormitories or common rooms, Cassiopeia Black and Olivia Turner found themselves sitting in the Kitchens.

The Hufflepuff ate some pumpkin pie whilst reading her Herbology book, Cass on the other hand finished off a second bowl of ice cream whilst stroking Buddy's fluffy fur. Her mind was still incredibly loud and she certainly couldn't concentrate on any school work, especially not right now. 

Her attention got caught when the sound of laughter suddenly filled the room, glancing up her piercing blue eyes widened when she spotted four Gryffindor boys strolling in, wide grins on their faces.

Cassiopeia cleared her throat, grabbing Liv's attention. When the blonde finally looked up from her book she noticed the wide eyes her best friend was sending her. Looking confused, Liv glanced over her shoulder, a wide smirk suddenly appearing on her face as soon as her eyes landed on the four boys.

"Oh no," Cass muttered, she had noticed the look on the blonde's face and instantly regretted grabbing her attention, "Liv!" She hissed.

Olivia didn't listen, instead, she slammed her book closed before letting out a loud - and extremely fake - yawn, which managed to catch James' attention. As soon as he spotted the two he was quick to nudge Sirius.

Cass placed her hands over her face, wishing that she could just suddenly appear back in her dorm. However, that wasn't possible and she finally looked back up when she heard the sound of a chair scraping across the floor.

Olivia had stood up, grabbing her books and sending a discreet wink at her best friend, whilst Cass pleaded her with her eyes to sit back down. Much to Cass' distaste, Liv began walking off, "I better get going now, Cass. I'll see you tomorrow," She said loudly, "Oh, hello boys, I didn't see you there. You mind walking me back to my common room?"

Cassiopeia watched as James and Sirius nodded eagerly, smirks plastered on their faces as they looked between Cass and Remus.

"We'll go, Remus will stay here," Sirius quickly stated, he wrapped his hand around Peter's elbow, pushing the shorter boy towards the door.

"Yeah, keep Cass company," James nodded before the four of them almost sprinted out of the room, leaving Remus and Cassiopeia alone with the house elves.

"You don't mind, do you?" Remus questioned, walking over to the seat Olivia had left merely seconds before.

Glancing up from Buddy's fur, Cass shook her head, "No, no, it's all yours," She cursed herself for sounding so awkward whilst Remus sent her a polite smile and sat down.

Almost the second he took a seat, Buddy had already left his owner's lap, strolling casually over to the sandy-brown haired boy and stretching across his, purring loudly and closing his piercingly green eyes.

"Sorry about him."

"Don't be," Remus smiled, his hand getting lost in the cat's long fur.

Cass sent him a tight-lipped smile, she could feel the tips of her ears burning up as she glanced down at her empty ice cream bowl. Luckily for her, two house elves suddenly appeared right in front of Remus, asking him if he needed anything. The Gryffindor smiled and asked for some mint tea before thanking the two profusely as Cass watched with a soft smile forming on her lips.

"You practised the Smokescreen Spell?" Remus asked, nodding his head at the Defence Against the Dark Arts book sitting besides the black haired girl.

Cass nodded, her piercing blue eyes falling upon the book, "Yeah, I've almost got it," She told him, "I'm sure you've already got it down to a T."

Remus cheeks tinted a light shade of pink as he took a small sip of his tea, "What makes you think that?"

"Oh, come off it, Lupin. You're brilliant at DADA," Cass told him genuinely.

Remus shrugged, "I'm okay."

Cass huffed, "More than okay. I wouldn't be surprised if you became the Defence teacher when we get older."

Remus glanced up at her, "I have thought about it, to be honest."

"Really?"

The sandy-brown haired boy nodded, "Yeah, although I doubt anyone would want their children being taught by a monster."

The smile fell right from Cassiopeia's lips as she sat up straight, "Rem, what I have told you about using that word? You're not a monster, okay? You never have been and you never will be."

"But I--"

"No buts," Cass interrupted him. She didn't think about it as she reached across the table, placing her hand on top of his one, "You're the kindest person I have ever met. The real monster is Greyback. He bit an innocent child, he probably bit more innocent people. You haven't ever done anything like that."

"But what if I do?" Remus asked in a small voice, he glanced up at the black haired girl, his eyes filled with sadness, "What if one day I turn into him?"

"I know that won't happen, do you know why?"

He shook his head every so slightly.

"Because of these," Cass told him, her thumb was gracing the scars scattered across the back of his hand, "You're willing to hurt yourself so that you won't hurt someone else. You never had to do that, but you did. That's how I know you're not a monster."